joshua is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Not that Group Policy issue, Access2007 to open password-protected 2003 mdb.

Anyone can help me on this problem? Thanks in advance.

I am trying to with 2007 open a password-proteced mdb file which I believe was created in 2003. In 2003, I can open it by adding username and password into it's command line. Although I have no permissions in design, I do can debug this program and check data. But when I tried to do this the same way in 2007, it always came up a logon window aske me username password, I can't get throught by inputting the right user/pwd pair, it said invalid username or password.

I guess It's not the group issue as other threads has said, because it doesn't come up the user/pass prompt window when opening other files. And I tried to delete that system.mdw file but no use.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Anyone can help me on this problem? Thanks in advance.

I am trying to with 2007 open a password-protected mdb file which I believe was created in 2003. In 2003, I can open it by adding username and password into it's command line. Although I have no permissions in design, I do can debug this program and check data. But when I tried to do this the same way in 2007, it always came up a logon window aske me username password, I can't get throught by inputting the right user/pwd pair, it said invalid username or password.

I guess It's not the group issue as other threads has said, because it doesn't come up the user/pass prompt window when opening other files. And I tried to delete that system.mdw file but no use.

It is not a group policy issue because the is a Windows thing not Access..

What you are dealing with is the built-in User Level Security.

You nevee want to delete the system.mdw. If you do you will NOT be able to open any Access MDB.

It is normally that you are not prompted for a user name and password for an MDB when using the default system.mdw. Since there is no password on the user admin, you are automatically log on as this user. Yes that is correct. With an MDB you must always log in using a workgroup file (.MDW).

Since it sounds like you have a secured MDB then you will need to be sure to add the path the the correct .MDW file along with the user name and password.

See if this helps:

Microsoft Access User-Level Security

That would be an incorrect guess.

Because it is not prompting for user name and password for other database only mena that the other datasbe use the default system.mwd with NO password for admin.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.