Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Well, you just named two, and then you can look at most of the things you had to put in your "meta table".
    So, not able to name anything then

problem with dynamic is it can mean many things so I don't see how you could possibly cater for that as standard functionality

and as far as the meta table is concerned, I'm dealing with data sourced from (and sent to) all sorts of different sources/destinations - excel, csv, txt, other rdbms's, websites, etc - So I don't want to (attempt to) import data that would fail validation - or export to another destination for the action to fail. Since I have routines for this, I can apply them to data entry. These are often created from import and export specifications supplied by the other organisations.

What amazes me is you are spend yours plus (from another of your threads) two testers time trying to fix a method you are not going to be using.

May I ask what versions of Windows and Access you tested with?
    it's on my avatar.

I note you are using 2016. It has not been possible to buy that version for some years unless you get it from some download site with doubtful credentials. Given you experience so many problems, I wonder if that is the reason why.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 11 Office 365
    I tried the first file you uploaded and it crashes for me every time. Sometimes it crashes in a few seconds and other times it takes up to a minute to crash.

Since most of your code is overcomplicated for my liking, I find it very difficult to follow.
    One thing is your use of globals for your error handling
    Code:
    Global gError As Variant, gErr As Byte
    Global gSp(11) As Variant ' 0 for control, send/return 1-9 for needed parameters, 10 for special code to use upon return like function value
    Global gDoErr As Boolean
    You have no error handling in your error handling routines. If they encounter an unhandled error wouldn't that make your globals go out of scope?

In my windows event viewer it shows exception code c0000005.

Exception code c0000005 is the code for an access violation. That means that your program is accessing (either reading or writing) a memory address to which it does not have rights. Most
    commonly this is caused by:

• Accessing a stale pointer. That is accessing memory that has already been deallocated. Note that such stale pointer accesses do not always result in access violations. Only if the memory manager has returned the memory to the system do you get an access violation.
    • Reading off the end of an array. This is when you have an array of length N and you access elements with index >=N.
    I have no clue what that means. Wonder if it has something to do with you using a form instance rather than just the form itself.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
    So, not able to name anything then...
    problem with dynamic is it can mean many things so I don't see how you could possibly cater for that as standard functionality
    Well no, not in your app because I don't have access to it, but you're the one who asked and must know your own app and what was missing in Access.
    As to my apps, yes, I listed several if you read it.

If one changes the pattern property of a textbox with VBA code, then it is dynamic. It's standard functionality in Access that can be hard-coded. We just had routines, and will have, routines to do all that without hard-coding specific patterns for all the possibilities of differing influencing elements like country. Another simple example is DLookup or SQL in VBA that can be dynamic based on the immediate need.

But I have to ask, why do you want to fight with me on every little topic?

Windows 10 Access 2021
    ...What amazes me is you are spend yours plus (from another of your threads) two testers time trying to fix a method you are not going to be using.

it's on my avatar.

I note you are using 2016. It has not been possible to buy that version for some years unless you get it from some download site with doubtful credentials. Given you experience so many problems, I wonder if that is the reason why.
    QC testers don't fix anything, they just test what others are doing. The others are working on the big shell programs, I'm responsible for homogeneity, setting the standards and writing the standards manual. In coming up with the standards, I often ask questions here (since I'm the most fluent in English in the team) as to best practices used by others and how to handle the quirks that other coders bring me (their resources are somewhat limited for those that speak primarily Spanish, Italian and French; I haven't yet gotten the Portuguese staff yet).

I'm using (a legitimate) Office Plus 2021, stated several times here. I'll have to check if my profile says something different. If I recall correctly, 2021 wasn't an option when I joined this forum. I think I even posted about that back then. But thanks for asking.

Note: I checked my profile. It says 2021, but I didn't change it recently, not today anyways. So, where did you get that I'm using Access 2016?
    Last edited by twgonder; 01-08-2023 at 09:10 PM.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    [QUOTE=moke123;506143]I tried the first file you uploaded and it crashes for me every time. Sometimes it crashes in a few seconds and other times it takes up to a minute to crash..../QUOTE]
    Thank you very much for doing the test. May I ask what versions you tested on?

What you see in the Windows event viewer pretty much confirms what I suspected, a bug deep down in the Access or the pcode interpreter itself, as the VBA code isn't running when the crash happens, nor could it as it doesn't directly access memory nor is it reading any system arrays or modifying system stacks (as best as I can tell)

As to the rest, remember this is just a prototype, with 99% of the code from the bigger application removed. However, if I recall correctly, there is a sample of how errors are handled in at least one module. Yes, it does get complicated checking for logic errors (not just Access run-time errors) between dependent subroutines and handling them properly. I slapped the small .accdb fairly quickly to test the crash error, there wasn't any QC to make sure it all made much practical sense or complied with the coding standards.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    But I have to ask, why do you want to fight with me on every little topic?
    because you winge all the time, you don't understand half of what access is designed to do and constantly demean it for not doing things your way.

And now apparently, you don't do the coding - you have coders who bring you problems

But no problem, you are back on my IL.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    because you winge all the time, you don't understand half of what access is designed to do and constantly demean it for not doing things your way.
    And now apparently, you don't do the coding - you have coders who bring you problems
    But no problem, you are back on my IL.
    Winge? IL? You are under no obligation to read or answer my threads. My appreciation and thanks for when you do decide to be helpful. And yes, I do a lot of coding, just not all of it. We are all finding problems, even those with much more experience in Access than I (but they are busy in their portion of the project, I explained my role earlier). It all helps me get up to speed much faster. And of course, it helps me to better design/explain how's the best way to port a massive app.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    you don't understand half of what access is designed to do and constantly demean it for not doing things your way.
    Although, in the 1970s, you couldn't bring me a car that I couldn't understand the engineering in ten minutes of any subsystem, that's not the case now with today's cars of complicated computers, busses, etc.

However, that doesn't mean that if a modern car stalls in the fastlane of a highway, and that I don't understand all the backbox subsystems, that I don't know there is a problem with the car.

Pero este curioso comportamiento suyo recuerda de alguna manera lo que he presenciado en algunos católicos. Si alguien se atreve a cuestionar a un Papa que ha embargado pedófilos, inmediatamente se pone el atuendo de Defensor de la Fe y ataca al mensajero.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    perhaps if your coders used google translate or one of the many other translators on the web, they wouldn't need to keep referring to you for your English but could ask for help directly.

Puedo asegurarte que no soy católico aunque sospecho que lo eres.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    perhaps if your coders used google translate or one of the many other translators on the web, they wouldn't need to keep referring to you for your English but could ask for help directly.

Puedo asegurarte que no soy católico aunque sospecho que lo eres.
    Nop, no soy católico, And I didn't say you were. (So, we've now descended into the childish realm of, "I am not but what are you?) Good grief!
    Me encanta que esté lleno de sugerencias para otra gente. Por otro lado, podríamos detenernos en las conjeturas descabelladas.
    Last edited by twgonder; 01-08-2023 at 07:34 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.