philbill is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

How to re-activate my Acess 2002

MS Acess will not work on my newly upgraded (but old) computer which runs windows xp service pack 3 and requests me to re-activate my software. I followed the instructions and my Access 2002 was partially installed but I needed to input my Product Key which I did. The Activation Wizard appeared to run but nothing happened.

Would appreciate some ideas for my next step.

Thank youi

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Doubt you can do anything. 2002 was deprecated years ago so there is nothing available accept and register a product key. I had the same problem with 2010 - new computer and wanted to reinstall 2010 - no joy.

Now very difficult to get anything (valid) which is not version 2016 or later

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for your quick response CJ ! One other question: Will my 2002 mdb files work with all other versions of Access ?

Yes should do although some things will have been deprecated so you may need to modify the code - see this link https://fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/history/features.htm. Look for a green tick in the 2002 column and red crosses against the later versions to the left. Most likely ones are if you use command bars or this is a ADP project. Things like database window were replaced with the navigation window so should not be a problem.

However not sure it will work with office 365 - you may need to do a 2 stage upgrade via say 2010. There are developers out there (myself included) who can do that for you, probably for a small fee.

Plus modern Access is 64bit whilst 2002 is 32bit. Providing you have the mdb (not mde) this should not be a problem although if your code uses API's they will need modifying to work with 64bit, and some active X controls have 64bit alternatives. Plenty of references on the web, but come back with specific questions if necessary.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If by 'modern' you're including 365 products, all mine are 32 bit, and that includes Access.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Pretty sure the default is now 64bit although I think there is a choice somewhere during the install process to elect for 32bit.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, I believe the default is 64 but I saw no point in installing it for my own use. Maybe if I ever have to reinstall I'll lose the option, although losing the option would be both disconcerting and annoying to me.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Just to confirm, 32-bit is still available as an install option in Office365. I used it only a few days ago.

Also, all Access files created in A2000 or later can be opened in current versions of Access.
    You only need an intermediary version if the files are A97 or earlier.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    Just to confirm, 32-bit is still available as an install option in Office365. I used it only a few days ago.

Also, all Access files created in A2000 or later can be opened in current versions of Access.
    You only need an intermediary version if the files are A97 or earlier.
    Thanks everyone for you helpful advice. Decided that moving to OpenOffice Base better meets my needs than buying a new computer and Access upgrade.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.