Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DanT is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365

Login and auto-signing

Hello there, it's my first post here and so I'd like to take this chance and greet everyone. My name is Dan and I'm quite a newbie, I'm learning Access and VBA for the last several months. The company I work for has no database-oriented system so I thought 'how hard could that be?' and the rest is history...

I try to design database from scratch now using Access as front end and Microsoft SQL server for data storage. I'd like users to log in before entering the main menu, and I'd like to use this for automatically signing orders and other documents they create, or even track history of changes they make (if not too difficult to implement). Obviously, I need a login form and a table to store all the usernames and passwords, but I don't know how to store data about currently logged user as this would have to be saved somewhere temporarily, right?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You can use TempVars, custom object or user table to store and retrieve user data. There is also a widely used function named fosUserName, which I prefer. If you use that, make sure you get a version that was written for 64 and 32 bit. If you're sharing a Windows login (i.e. if there is a generic login or I log in, do my thing and leave the pc for someone else to use in that state) then that function is of no use to you. The idea of it is to grab user Windows login and pc id if you want that too, and do away with login forms, passwords and all that maintenance. Then you match table Windows login against what code retrieves and you know who it is. If that login isn't found, they don't get in.

To simply answer your last question, the data about the currently logged in user is in the table, no? FName, LName, EmplID, etc?

EDIT - forgot to say welcome to the forum!
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Agree with Micron about checking against Windows Active Directory to determine which users can access your database and also to log who is using it at any time

However, if that's not practical its not too difficult to setup your own password login system ... but make sure you make it secure.
    In case its useful, see my example app: Password Login (isladogs.co.uk)
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

DanT is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    There is also a widely used function named fosUserName, which I prefer. If you use that, make sure you get a version that was written for 64 and 32 bit. If you're sharing a Windows login (i.e. if there is a generic login or I log in, do my thing and leave the pc for someone else to use in that state) then that function is of no use to you. The idea of it is to grab user Windows login and pc id if you want that too, and do away with login forms, passwords and all that maintenance. Then you match table Windows login against what code retrieves and you know who it is. If that login isn't found, they don't get in.
    Some people work on multiple computers on everyday basis (office desktop + remote laptop) but occasionally we use someone else's computers and so this might not work.

You can use TempVars, custom object or user table to store and retrieve user data. (...)
    To simply answer your last question, the data about the currently logged in user is in the table, no? FName, LName, EmplID, etc?

As far as I understand, the data in the table is used only to select username from the list and compare password. After that I need to somehow store the information, that certain user is logged in is is using the application. TempVar seems to be the answer for auto-filling field like 'Order created by'. I'll take a deeper look into it, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    Agree with Micron about checking against Windows Active Directory to determine which users can access your database and also to log who is using it at any time

However, if that's not practical its not too difficult to setup your own password login system ... but make sure you make it secure.
    In case its useful, see my example app: Password Login (isladogs.co.uk)
    your example seems to be quite advanced, looks great though. If I wanted to extract currently logged user for purpose of auto-sign documents - how would I do it?

DanT is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365
    @isladogs your example seems to be quite advanced, looks great though. If I wanted to extract currently logged user for purpose of auto-sign documents - how would I do it?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Post 4 was moderated, I'm posting to trigger email notifications.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Office 365
    My example can be imported directly into your database if that helps
    There are 3 main ways of getting user name.
    See Get User Name (isladogs.co.uk)

For reasons explained in my article, my preferred method is CreateObject("WScript.Network").UserName
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

DanT is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365
    That's great, I'll look into it. Thanks a lot!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    occasionally we use someone else's computers and so this might not work.
    That does not matter IF they have to log in before they can use it. What matters is the Windows login credentials of the user. The fact that the function also can provide the computer id that user logged into is a bonus that you cannot get using conventional password management. So you'd not only know who, you'd know where.

EDIT - I'd say TempVars is for whatever you want it to be. Personally, I'd lean towards creating my own user object and creating/setting properties in it. However, that is a bit more advanced coding.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

DanT is offline Novice
    Windows 11 Office 365
    ahh, ok, I thought it shows computer name only, something like environ username. Looks like a way to go then!

Windows 10 Office 365
    @Micron
    You can just as easily get the workstation name using VBA as you can the user name: Get Computer Name (isladogs.co.uk)

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    @Micron
    You can just as easily get the workstation name using VBA as you can the user name: Get Computer Name (isladogs.co.uk)
    Not sure what you're saying. Is your comment related to item 2, or item 3 there, or something else?

You're working with a SQL database which has a very fine 2-level security system using logins on server level and user rights on the database level. You can use them to set the rights per object, even to the row (using views) /column level. You have there standard built-in functions and variables to get the current user for example: select system_user gets the logged in windows user.
    And tracking is standard available on the database, just activate it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SQL_tracking.JPG  

Windows 10 Office 365
    Not sure what you're saying. Is your comment related to item 2, or item 3 there, or something else?
    It was a response to this comment:
    That does not matter IF they have to log in before they can use it. What matters is the Windows login credentials of the user. The fact that the function also can provide the computer id that user logged into is a bonus that you cannot get using conventional password management. So you'd not only know who, you'd know where.
    I may be wrong but that seemed to imply (at least to me) that the workstation info could only be obtained using active directory Windows login data

@NoellaG
    Good point. Somehow I had overlooked the comment in post #1 that the BE is in SQL Server

Windows 10 Access 2016
    the workstation info could only be obtained using active directory Windows login data
    No, maybe I can make it more clear if I state it another way.
    Using the function, it doesn't matter if you share a pc as long as each person has to log in and out of Windows when using that pc.
    The point about sql server security is a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.