CoachBarker is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Adding table to Query removes every 4th record

I have a db made up of sample data, tblRentals holds the transactions for rental units.
    RentalIDPKStorageShedIDFKCustomerIDFKBeginningDateFKEndingDatePaymentDateRentalRateIDFKPaymentMadePaymentBalanceDuePaymentTypeIDFKCheckNumberCreditCardNameIDFKCreditCardNumberMoneyOrderNumberLateCharges

If I build a query and run it with all the FK included I lose 3/4 (returns 55 of 219)of the records. I narrowed it down to the CreditCardName table. When I add this table records disappear.

without CreditCardName table.
    Attachment 2038

with CreditCardName table.
    Attachment 2037

Code:
    SELECT tblRentals.RentalID, tblStorageUnits.StorageShedID, tblCustomers.CustomerID, tblRentals.BeginningDate, tblRentals.EndingDate, tblRentals.PaymentDate, tblRentalRate.RentalRate, tblRentals.PaymentMade, tblRentals.PaymentBalanceDue, tblPaymentType.PaymentType, tblRentals.CheckNumber, tblCreditCardType.CreditCardName, tblRentals.CreditCardNumber, tblRentals.MoneyOrderNumber, tblRentals.LateCharges
    FROM tblCreditCardType INNER JOIN (tblStorageUnits INNER JOIN (tblRentalRate INNER JOIN (tblPaymentType INNER JOIN (tblCustomers INNER JOIN tblRentals ON tblCustomers.CustomerID = tblRentals.CustomerID) ON tblPaymentType.PaymentTypeID = tblRentals.PaymentTypeID) ON tblRentalRate.RentalRateID = tblRentals.RentalRateID) ON tblStorageUnits.StorageShedID = tblRentals.StorageShedID) ON tblCreditCardType.CreditCardNameID = tblRentals.CreditCardNameID;

SELECT tblRentals.RentalID, tblStorageUnits.StorageShedID, tblCustomers.CustomerID, tblRentals.BeginningDate, tblRentals.EndingDate, tblRentals.PaymentDate, tblRentalRate.RentalRate, tblRentals.PaymentMade, tblRentals.PaymentBalanceDue, tblPaymentType.PaymentType, tblRentals.CheckNumber, tblRentals.CreditCardNameID, tblRentals.CreditCardNumber, tblRentals.MoneyOrderNumber, tblRentals.LateCharges
    FROM tblStorageUnits INNER JOIN (tblRentalRate INNER JOIN (tblPaymentType INNER JOIN (tblCustomers INNER JOIN tblRentals ON tblCustomers.CustomerID = tblRentals.CustomerID) ON tblPaymentType.PaymentTypeID = tblRentals.PaymentTypeID) ON tblRentalRate.RentalRateID = tblRentals.RentalRateID) ON tblStorageUnits.StorageShedID = tblRentals.StorageShedID;
    relationships
    Attachment 2039

I can attach an excel file with all the tables or if allowed a copy of the db. Any suggestions?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    I didn't look at the attachment. But I can assure you that queries are never, technically, incorrect. The result may not be what you think it should - but they are never wrong.

Generically: When you add a table to a query - depending on the relationship line between it and the other tables: it will reduce the record set because it will return only records that all share a common value ; or it can increase the record set for more or less the same reason.

When you have multiple inner joins it become quite complicated. I would suggest that you partition your query. Because one can use a query in another query (as opposed to a table). This allows you to see the results step by step in running each query separately.

Hope this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.