twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Work in cm not inches when Reg is USA English?

I like working in millimeters and centimeters. This inches is crap in designing.

I don't see a way to set the metric.
    It does change if I change the region in Windows settings, but I don't want to do that.
    How get metric for designing?

Also, when I do set it to English (World) I get cm, but I'd like to get the little dots inside the grid for aligning more precisely.

Thanks

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you use a setting a grid value that is too large the dots disappear. That max number is 24 for US numbering system. Not sure what the cm max number is but it might be 64.
    Not sure it's necessary to worry about it either way. I seldom specify numbers for sizes as opposed to simply dragging control/section edges. shift+ arrow key makes minor size adjustments, ctrl+arrow key makes minor move adjustments, arrow keys alone make slightly greater adjustments. Let's say I wanted a group of controls to be all at the same top setting. I can choose one, copy its top setting then choose all desired and paste in the copied number and they'll all move to that value. So my point is, I don't need to worry about measurement units. AFAIK, if you want to work in cm's you have to have the correct regional setting for numbers but also a valid grid value for that system.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    providing you are happy to work with cm all the time you can change the measurement system from US to metric in windows settings. May vary depending on your version but this is how I can get to it in 2010

Windows Settings>Language>Related Settings(Additional date, time and regions settings)>Region (Change date, time and number formats)>Measurement System

Not tried it but you can do this using VBA So you could create a function in a module and call it from an autoexec when the app is opened. Or create a shortcut key macro to do the same You would need another to change it back if required.

What I don't know if that change takes immediate effect or whether you need to close and reopen access

see this link

https://www.mrexcel.com/board/thread...rom-vba.41533/

with regards the grid, in cm the grid is 1 cm on a side. You can still show/hide but I think for later versions of access there is not the ability to resize or include the dots. To show/hide, in design view right click on the grid on on the ribbon Size/Space in the sizing section and select grid.

Note that all measurements are in twips, there are 1440 twips to an inch which works well for the imperial measurements, but for cm there are 566.929133... twips to a cm - not an exact amount which why sometimes two metric measurements that are exactly the same can actually have very slightly different twip values. But since there are 15 twips to a pixel the difference is not noticeable. If you ever get into it, you will find scrolling moves 15 twips at a time

I use slightly different techniques to Micron
    - select all controls to be aligned and enter the appropriate left/top/whatever which does all selected controls in one go
    - select all controls then use the appropriate align option on the ribbon

There are also the table options on the ribbon which I don't use. But if you use stacked or tabular the gridlines option becomes available - but this is not about the grid but relate to the stacked or tabular guide lines.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    - select all controls then use the appropriate align option on the ribbon
    Yes, I do that too, provided that the first control in the selection is properly located. Mostly I use copy/paste values for height & perhaps width, not Top as I implied.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm still looking for where to set the grid on and its size.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    see second half of my post

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    simply dragging control/section edges. shift+ arrow key makes minor size adjustments, ctrl+arrow key makes minor move adjustments, arrow keys alone make slightly greater adjustments.
    Thanks for that. I took my Access classes many, many years ago and have been trying to remember how to do that. I guess I've become too mouse centric, that and this HP laptop has very tiny arrow keys.

If I remember correctly, maybe in another MS office product, there's a way to constrain vertical movement while using the mouse, so controls don't move up and down when dragged quickly right or left. But I can't find the magic combination.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
    see second half of my post
    Still trying to make sense of it all.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    grid values are in form/report property sheet (format tab) for form. About 4 and 5 rows from the bottom.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    so it is - I stand corrected.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.