twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016

What version is in 2021 and where is Table Wizard?

Hello, it's been many years since I worked a bit with Access, maybe 15 years.
    I have Office Pro Plus 2021 ver. 2205 on Windows 10.

For finding answers, is this really ACCESS 2021 or some prior version just stuck into the Office Suite. It's not very clear in the info tab.

I went to create a table for some testing, and the CREATE TABLE BY USING WIZARD seems to be absent.
    I've hunted around in the options, but don't see a way to add it.

Does it have to be added somehow, or is a Table Wizard a thing of the past (as in discontinued)?

I remember that the wizard was fairly useful, but I wanted to change and add some fields to standardize across many tables.
    Did MS ever add the ability to tweak the fields in the Wizard?

Thanks

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    The wizard has been in every version, but I cant say about 2021.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I fired up another laptop, windows 10 that has Office Professional Plus 2016,
    and I can't find the wizard there either.
    Going to the "Tell me what you want to do" field at the top of the help tab brings up nothing useful when typing in "table wizard"
    Going to the Configuration, Apps and features, and then Modify Office Professional,
    only has options to repair an installation, not a set of options for features as I remember the old installs doing.
    I'm not sure what SharePoint and Add-ins do, but taking a brief look there I don't see anything for the Table Wizard.

This is a little maddening Microsoft! Where did it go or where are you hiding it? MS Upgrades = remove features or rename/move sh!t around.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    IIRC, the table wizard was deprecated after A2003.I don't recall ever finding it useful
    Its definitely not in any recent version.

However, you can now create or edit a table structure in design view or datasheet view
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks isladogs, from islacats (all abandoned street cats that adopted me).

That says how long it's been since I touched Access.

Has anyone seen or developed something like the old Create Table Wizard? I remember having issues with the fields that MS created, and their sophistication. But, I did like the idea of creating a repository of fields so that development of a robust application could be standardized with lengths, patterns, prompts, etc. And even some code to update all tables, forms and reports should one of the field definitions change. I spent a year doing just that for another database on super-minis many years ago, and I really would prefer to avoid reinventing the wheel in Access, with which I have little experience.

Further, it would be nice if this "field definition app" had the ability to create prompts and help text in different languages.
    Last edited by twgonder; 06-19-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.