DMT Dave is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Retrieve Data From 2 x SQL Statements

Hi Guys, so so close with this, there are 2 things, i cant appear to loop through rs3 recordset where I am trying to count the items delivered between the years (LYearStart And LYearEnd) based on combo

the strSQL2 source is copied from a query SQL view that does display the results, they appear in the immediate window with iDelQty being the same number due to not looping correctly, i cant remember how to do multiple loops !!!!

Also i am trying work the calculation our for Price per item ?

strSQL is getting data from expenses
    strSQL2 is getting data from assign (delivered items)

Code:
     strSQL = "SELECT tblExpenses.ItemRequired, tblExpenses.Year, tblExpenses.MonthNo, Sum(tblExpenses.TotalAmount) AS SumOfTotalAmount, Sum(tblExpenses.Litres) AS SumOfLitres, " _        & "Avg(tblExpenses.PricePerLitre) AS AvgOfPricePerLitre " _
            & "From tblExpenses " _
            & "GROUP BY tblExpenses.ItemRequired, tblExpenses.Year, tblExpenses.MonthNo " _
            & "HAVING (((tblExpenses.ItemRequired) = '" & strItem & "') AND ((tblExpenses.Year) Between " & lYearStart & " And " & lYearEnd & ")) " _
            & "ORDER BY Avg(tblExpenses.PricePerLitre) DESC;"

strSQL2 = "SELECT tblAssign.Year, tblAssign.Month, Count(tblAssign.ItemType) AS CountOfItemType, tblAssign.Source " _
            & "From tblAssign " _
            & "GROUP BY tblAssign.Year, tblAssign.Month, tblAssign.Source " _
            & "HAVING (((tblAssign.Year) Between " & lYearStart & " And " & lYearEnd & ") AND ((tblAssign.Source) = '" & strSrc & "')) " _
            & "ORDER BY tblAssign.Year DESC , tblAssign.Month DESC;"

Set rs3 = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL2)
        Do While Not rs3.EOF
            iDelQty = rs3("CountOfItemType")
            rs3.MoveNext
        Loop

strHTML = "<HTML><Body><table border='3' width='70%'><tr><th>Item Required</th><th>Month-Year</th>" & _
            "<th>Total Fuel Cost</th><th>Total Litres</th><th>Avg Price Per Litre</th><th>Total Items Delivered</th><th>Fuel Cost Per Item</th></tr>"

strMailBody = strHTML

Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
        Do While Not rs.EOF
        lMonthNo = rs.Fields("MonthNo")
            iDelQty = DCount("*", "tblAssign", "[Year] Between " & lYearStart & " And " & lYearEnd) ' & " And [MonthNo] = " & lMonthNo & " And [Source] = '" & strSrc & "'")

strMailBody = strMailBody & "<tr><td>" & rs("ItemRequired") & "</td><td>" & _
            MonthName(rs("MonthNo")) & " - " & rs("Year") & "</td><td>" & Format(rs("SumOfTotalAmount"), "Currency") & "</td><td>" & _
            rs("SumOfLitres") & "</td><td>" & Format(rs("AvgOfPRicePerLitre"), "Currency") & "</td><td>" & _
            iDelQty & "</td><td>" & iDelQty / rs("SumOfTotalAmount") & "</td></tr>" & "|"
            rs.MoveNext
        Loop

Debug.Print strSQL2
    iDelQty is not looping

My 2nd mind boggle is iDelQty / rs("SumOfTotalAmount") I think i am not calculating correctly

How do i calculate How much fuel per single item and not the sum of all items

example: Ideally delivery qty is 600 then total fuel cost is 1200, fuel cost per item is what i am trying to return

Not pasted full code here as its large

Any help to retrieve the correct iDelQty would be very kind

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    rs3 is simply looping through all of it's values and setting iDelQty to whatever the last value is?

That doesn't seem to be doing what you expect?

Shouldn't it's loop be around the "outside" of the rs loop?
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Minty, thank you if I'm reading correct, I've searched where i have done this before but keep loosing my self!!!

This should be the sequence before i test and crash the db ?

Code:
        Do While Not rs3.EOF

Do While Not rs.EOF

iDelQty = rs3("CountOfLiftType")
            rs3.MoveNext

Loop
            MonthName(rs("MonthNo")) & " - " & rs("Year") & "</td><td>" & Format(rs("SumOfTotalAmount"), "Currency") & "</td><td>" & _
            rs("SumOfLitres") & "</td><td>" & Format(rs("AvgOfPRicePerLitre"), "Currency") & "</td><td>" & _
            iDelQty & "</td><td>" & Format(iDelQty / rs("SumOfTotalAmount"), "Currency") & "</td></tr>" & "|"
            rs.MoveNext
        Loop

Debug.Print strMailBody

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Can't remember if i ned x 2 loops guessing so because i have 2 x (do) commands

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Your structure is still not correct this is effectively what you currently have

Code:

Do While Not rs3.EOF

Do While Not rs.EOF

iDelQty = rs3("CountOfLiftType")
                     rs3.MoveNext
               Loop 
            Other stuff        
        Loop

Debug.Print strMailBody
    Can you explain what you are trying to do with each record set in simple non database terms.
    I can't work out if you want to run each RS3 for each RS or the other way around?
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks Minty, trying to get each year and month rs3 from expenses in the same loop as rs from assign

the results from rs is fine, i am trying add iDelqty to the equation for the same time periods

so rs is looping as all results correct, in the html the iDelqty is all the same (last record in the recordest) so I belive i haven't looped it properly which frustratingly, done multiple loops before and can't remember or find where i done that before

So rs3 should be within rs. ?
    Not sure how you think you are tying the recordsets together?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi WGM and Monty, hoping this will help where i have gone hay wire and lost myself thinking

The Total Items Delivered column is rs3 (iDelQty) (all same values) whereas the rest of the fields are correct, hope this helps you to help me

I have lost my way, tried to come away from and go back to it as a refresh and need fresh eyes to spot the problem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	48054

What are you showing us there?
    Perhaps put the sql into the sql window and see if the data is correct, before trying to use it.
    As it stands as Minty said, you just walk through rs3 setting idelqty with each record until eof, so the logic is all shot to hell.

Take a step back and think of what you are trying to do.
    Think on how you would do it manually, the steps you would take.
    That should tell you when you need to find idelqty.
    Can it not be included in the other sql via a join, with another query at all?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You must know that "YEAR" and "MONTH" are reserved words AND they are built in functions in Access.....
    OK, Off my soap box.

I will be referring to the code posted in Post #1.
    The SQL "strSQL2" and the record set "rs3" are irrelevant. All the rs3 loop does is set iDelQty to the value of the last record in "rs3".

However, in the rs loop, the value of iDelQty is the result of a DCOUNT().
    Code:
        strSQL = "SELECT tblExpenses.ItemRequired, tblExpenses.Year, tblExpenses.MonthNo, Sum(tblExpenses.TotalAmount) AS SumOfTotalAmount, Sum(tblExpenses.Litres) AS SumOfLitres, " _
                 & "Avg(tblExpenses.PricePerLitre) AS AvgOfPricePerLitre " _
                 & "From tblExpenses " _
                 & "GROUP BY tblExpenses.ItemRequired, tblExpenses.Year, tblExpenses.MonthNo " _
                 & "HAVING (((tblExpenses.ItemRequired) = '" & strItem & "') AND ((tblExpenses.Year) Between " & lYearStart & " And " & lYearEnd & ")) " _
                 & "ORDER BY Avg(tblExpenses.PricePerLitre) DESC;"

strSQL2 = "SELECT tblAssign.Year, tblAssign.Month, Count(tblAssign.ItemType) AS CountOfItemType, tblAssign.Source " _
                  & "From tblAssign " _
                  & "GROUP BY tblAssign.Year, tblAssign.Month, tblAssign.Source " _
                  & "HAVING (((tblAssign.Year) Between " & lYearStart & " And " & lYearEnd & ") AND ((tblAssign.Source) = '" & strSrc & "')) " _
                  & "ORDER BY tblAssign.Year DESC , tblAssign.Month DESC;"

Do While Not rs3.EOF
            iDelQty = rs3("CountOfItemType")
            rs3.MoveNext
        Loop

strHTML = "<HTML><Body><table border='3' width='70%'><tr><th>Item Required</th><th>Month-Year</th>" & _
                  "<th>Total Fuel Cost</th><th>Total Litres</th><th>Avg Price Per Litre</th><th>Total Items Delivered</th><th>Fuel Cost Per Item</th></tr>"

strMailBody = strHTML

Do While Not rs.EOF
            lMonthNo = rs.Fields("MonthNo")
            iDelQty = DCount("*", "tblAssign", "[Year] Between " & lYearStart & " And " & lYearEnd)    ' & " And [MonthNo] = " & lMonthNo & " And [Source] = '" & strSrc & "'")

iDelQty & "</td><td>" & iDelQty / rs("SumOfTotalAmount") & "</td></tr>" & "|"
            rs.MoveNext
        Loop
    And, of course the value is the same for every (HTML) record because the criteria in the DCount() was/is commented out.

It would be nice to have an example dB to be able to single step through the code - I would have LOTS of "DEBUG.PRINT" statements in the code to see what is happening.
    That's all for now.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    ok guys thank you, will follow up your suggestions, i think now starting point is to wrap the year with square brackets and step through

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.