scottm is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

1 user problem

We're running a shared Access 2016 database with multiple users on Win10 workstations.
    Several users have it open at the same time, no problem.
    I've got 1 user that if the DB is open already, the DB opens extremely slowly (30-45 seconds) and then gets network errors, the data entered isn't saved, etc.
    When no one else is using the DB, that user can open it quickly (3-5 seconds) and work fine, no errors.
    I'm guessing it's the user's profile, but have no idea why. I don't really want to rebuild the user's profile and would love to find the fix for this.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    please clarify. When you say 'We're running a shared Access 2016 database with multiple users on Win10 workstations.' what does that actually mean? Is the database split? and if so does each user have their own copy of the FE? and is that copy on their local drive or the network? and where is the BE? on a server? on a users machine?

And with regards hardware, is everyone hardwire connected to the server? or making use of wireless?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    are the backend tables linked SQL tables , or linked Access tables?

is the db split?
    does every user have their own FrontEnd copy? (should)

scottm is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    It's a very simple Access DB. No SQL or links to SQL. It's linked to another Access DB for login and a few other tables.
    It's not split. The users access it via a shortcut that points to the DB on a shared network drive.
    I've checked the user's rights to that folder.
    Supposedly, another user "changed something" and it stopped working for this one user. I can't ask the other user what he changed, he passed away 2 months ago. Besides, I doubt he did anything that would cause this problem.
    I've tested the user's connection with wired and wireless. I even tried 3 different network cables and 2 different NICs.

Each user should have their own copy of the FE. You are dancing in a minefield, doing it the way you are now.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

scottm is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The problem is it worked several months ago just the way it is.
    Here's a point that makes it even more interesting. If one certain user has it open, then she has all the problems. Other users can have it open and she's fine.
    Right now, 2 other users have it open and she's happy and working. When the 1 specific user opens it - problems.
    I've checked the setup for both users - both network and this DB and they're identical.

Yes, and it will likely work for many more months.
    Then it will go tits up and you have a huge problem on you hands.

A liitle like not topping up the oil in the engine. but it is working fine, yes, until the oil level gets too low.

Your call.
    This issue has highlighted a potential bigger issue, just waiting to happen.

Also let's say you add some new functionality? How are you meant to apply that when the DB is not split? So, so much harder to do.

Edit: You really have nothing to lose by splitting the DB and giving everyone their own copy of the FE.
    Then if you still have problems, it is isolated even more.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Agree with WGM, the fact a complete failure hasn’t yet, doesn’t mean it won’t- and you are already getting the warning signs. Thing is when it does happen, you’ll lose everything, data, forms, the lot. Go to backup - but chances are they will already have the seeds of corruption.

It always amazes me that people don’t understand the rules on sharing

scottm is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Well, I've inherited several Access programs that were written very poorly. I get angry every time I have to help a user with them. I'm just trying to keep them going until we can use our ERP system for them (should have been done from the beginning). That's why I'm not going to completely re-write the programs.

"It always amazes me that people don’t understand the rules on sharing". Unneeded, unwanted and unhelpful. Comments like this should be left out. I'm trying to get help with a problem, not smart-assed responses.

scottm is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Marked it solved, even though it's not.
    Don't want to get any more useless, smart-ass answers.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I'd like to hear about your ERP system.

From time to time we get posters(often newbies) who don't care about Microsoft's recommendation for sharing Access across multiple users or some standard operating procedures from experienced people responsible for large Access database applications. Many think Access is just a larger Excel/worksheet. They often return with more focused questions and requesting more detailed assistance.

From 30+ years in data management I can assure you that you can learn something from just about anybody if you listen long enough. This forum and others are staffed by volunteers offering advice and assistance who offer the best info they can based on their interpretation of the posts.

You may think the advice was useless or smart-assed. I think you may not be wanting to hear some basic, sound facts for multiuser Access. And that is your option. Forum members are trying to help.

Try a few other forums and see what others have to say.

Access World Forums
    UtterAccess
    MicrosoftCommunity Access

Here is a link to FMS Access PerformanceTips

I would like to hear about your ERP system (design approach, software, project management etc).
    I'd also like to hear what you learn from any of the other forums that I have linked above.

scottm is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've been doing this for years, as well. I've written tons of multi-user programs and agree that it should be split and users given the FE. I get it.
    Since our plan is to have it into our ERP system within 6 months, I just needed some possible pointers to keep it running. A split/re-write is the correct way to do it, yes, but I don't have the time to re-write it - I'm a 1 man IT/programming, etc. shop.

I'm sure CJ_London and Welshgasman are outstanding programmers, but CJ's comment "It always amazes me that people don’t understand the rules on sharing" was just a pointed as he meant it to be. Again, there is no need to be that way. It certainly didn't help the situation OR get any closer to solving the issue at hand.

I had a spark plug go bad in my engine. Might as well rebuild the engine now.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    sounds more like a blown head gasket to me.

Whether it needs a rewrite or not I wouldn't like to say but splitting takes a few minutes plus the time to install the FE on each users machine. If nothing else, it eliminates one of the reasons you are having problems

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.