paralogical is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Very Newbie Question

I want to build a db for my job search in a new field, to include the companies, size, competition, who I've contacted,dates, replies, etc. Part of the reason for doing it is to impress my 'new employer' with my db expertise.

Many years ago I constructed a couple of db's in Paradox so I thought this would be no sweat; but I've hit snags. (I built a database of our church school, with input screens, forms, etc. as well as a charity golf outing).

I have Access 2000/2003 on my computer and I keep getting a 'data not secure' warning, so not sure if I just have some sort of 'demo' version. I did go out this afternoon and buy Access 2010 but haven't opened it yet pending replies I get here. The error message sort of worries me -- and frankly 2000/03 was a long time ago so maybe just install the new one?

Also, I obviously need a refresher, even for this simple thing, so what do you guys recommend? I'm thinking the 2010 will have better features, including great online help. Or should I go get a book like 'Access for Dummies'? Something cheap please, cause I just coughed up 150 for the access!.

Appreciate anyone's help.

Tammy

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    hello Tammy and welcome to the community,

I personally would ditch 03 and go with 10. ms is actually providing better software now with newer versions. (hinting at the fact they did not in the past). but of course, they're still doing ridiculous things, e.g. - in 2010 the macro window is now unecessarily complex.

I've never heard of that warning either, maybe others have. google doesn't bring up anything on it.

one question I would have for you...why are you looking for a job if you're trying to 'impress your new employer'?? that doesn't seem to make much sense!

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hey thanks Adam!

It's sort of like a 'pride' thing. I am not young..definitely not...and my work-a-day life in corporate America goes way back. I have, however, kept up with technology because I just really like it...so I'm great at Excel, Word, etc., but haven't had occasion to use a DB.

I've just enrolled in paralegal school; I'll finish in 6 months but need to get a job now. Tech is HUGE for law firms, not only in terms of how the office is run, but also for the research aspect...which is all.....Relational Databases.

So, hence my quest.

So I've decided to go with the 2010 and am on my way to B&N to get the Access Step-by-Step book which I think will be ok. I mean, this is not rocket science...nor does it have to survive millions of users on the Web...its just me.

Thank you SO much for answering. I love all of you tech guys and wish we could share brain tissue...in fact, I think the government should start a program where just a tiny bit of your guy's brains could be implanted in us 50 something brains. It would make America that much smarter! LOL

Tammy

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paralogical View Post
    So I've decided to go with the 2010 and am on my way to B&N to get the Access Step-by-Step book which I think will be ok.
    good for you. I have never been a fan of books, but some people like em. Don't forget, that the resources on this forum and others can give you plenty of answers to faqs. Good luck to ya!

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hey Adam,

One more question...

The box on the Access doesn't indicate if I can install it on more than one computer. I have a desk top and a laptop...can I put on both?

My desktop is the one with Access '03, so if I had to sacrifice, would '03 be able to read and store the '10 stuff...(my printer is only connected to desk top) and suuuuucccch a hassle otherwise. What I do now is just email myself documents and spreadshts and then print from there.

I bought my laptop last yr with Windows 7, and I was able to load Office on both computers.

Thanks!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.