DMol15 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Need Coding help

I want to develop a code to index a field in my table. For example, the Word Chrysler is the company name from the part order. Every time Chrysler is typed I want to start another field that indexes a letter and a number. Say Chrysler is in my form/table 10 times I want the corresponding field to auto generate A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A8,A9,A10. Then once it hits 10 to go to B1, B2..... and so on. Is this possible??

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Probably with a complicated function/sub. But what happens on the 261st instance of Chrysler?
    What would be the purpose of this field?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

DMol15 is offline Novice
    Do you think you could help me create this complicated function/sub. The purpose of this field would be to generate a location. We would never have more than say 40 parts/coils from one company.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    this seems like a waste of time since you can just use tell the query to count them.
    There's no reason to have this.

DMol15 is offline Novice
    I do not just want to count them though.

You would need to identify all the rules that would apply under a number of circumstances.

it would probably be easier to have a table of locations and when a new part is entered select an empty location.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    DMol15,

Your request is a bit confusing. Could you please describe the business process involved and the need for this particular approach? Perhaps if we knew more of the context, other options may arise.

Is this related to your other post/thread re Inventory Tracking?

DMol15 is offline Novice
    I want to be able to scan a part off of the truck in the loading docks and be able to generate a location for the part to go based on the company it is manufactured by. This would create a more convenient approach for the shipping workers to better be able to track where the parts are in the warehouse.

Windows 10 Office 365
    So, the threads are related--same topic.
    You mention loading docks and shipping. Are you talking about Shipping and Receiving?

Can you take a particular Part and lead us through the steps in the business? A truck comes in to your facility and then.....? Does your company do something with that Part?

DMol15 is offline Novice
    So, we have incoming shipments of coils from different companies. Those coils get put into a staging area to wait to get ran through a press. The problem is the shipping and receiving people just put the coils in random areas, not a set location. This just compounds, now people do not know where certain coils are or how many they have because some of the coils are getting used now. This causes workers to waste time and do inventory weekly searching for coils. I want to create a database where the workers can scan the incoming shipments and I can tell the coil where to go to eliminate this problem and know where our product is at all time. I would label certain numbered sections and rows in the warehouse to correlate with the location. Then after a coil is moved to a press they can scan it into the next process and it can pull it out of its location, in the database.

DMol15 is offline Novice
    We also run the coils based off the company they are manufactured by, that is why I would like to organize them by manufacturer.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for clarifying. Do you ship the product that is "pressed"? Is there any storage/location issues with outgoing product?
    Are the incoming coils physically different---weight, height...? Are they all stored 1-high?
    Does a coil get processed entirely in a "pressing" run or could/do some part coils remain for another "press run"?
    By scan/scanner there will be some identifying barcode/?? on each coil and/or possibly part coils?

So you envision some production people (at least 1) to have access to the database and scanner?

How have you managed this issue up to now?

Just trying to get related facts here, so readers can understand the context and respond accordingly.

Gicu is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    @DMol15: uploading a small db sample here with what you have to date would help a lot anyone who might want to write the function for you

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

How many sections and rows are there? Is it a uniform number or do some sections have more rows than others?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.