Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by keviny04 View Post
    The absurdity was in your suggestion that Yes/No fields need to be removed from the table when a user leaves the company. That's almost a troll-like absurdity. You can ROTATE Yes/No fields: when one user leaves, another user takes his Yes/No fields, problem solved! That was what I meant: you had to make up this absurd scenario to prove a point.
    If you scroll back you'll see I didn't suggest the deleting of fields, I asked if that's what you did. Like Vlad I would never use your method. It is only practical if you're an in-house developer and have relatively low turnover. In my opinion the developer should not have to modify the application when normal day-to-day activity like this occurs.

Again, I'm pointing out the cons so people can make an informed decision.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

keviny04 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    @keviny04 - you seem to like your way and dismiss all the rest; I am not here to debate which method is the best.

I wouldn't use yours for a million bucks (if we get to use millions so easily ) as it would mean I would have to constantly adjust my interface to add fields to queries, forms, VBA, etc. And the tables won't be "all over the place", just one per front-end that can be re-used for multiple back-end tables.

Cheers,
    You can avoid "constantly adjust" by having dynamically-constructed field names based on the user name. There is ALWAYS a way. And the user can't make local temp tables if it's a web form front end -- in which case you want to put the necessary fields at the *server*.

Of course, the even better way is to give your users a good filtering UI so he doesn't have to do silly checkboxing, check, check, check, etc.

keviny04 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    If you scroll back you'll see I didn't suggest the deleting of fields, I asked if that's what you did. Like Vlad I would never use your method. It is only practical if you're an in-house developer and have relatively low turnover. In my opinion the developer should not have to modify the application when normal day-to-day activity like this occurs.

Again, I'm pointing out the cons so people can make an informed decision.
    "Suggest" doesn't always mean "suggest." For instance, "The moonlight suggests a peaceful mood." It means to evoke, to bring to mind. That was what I meant when I said about your "suggestion." You invoked such a silly idea as that. Anyway, it doesn't matter if you suggested or asked. You SAID it. If you insist on "asked", note that one can ask silly questions too.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You focus on triviality and ignore the main point, which is having to modify the database any time a mundane day-to-day act like hiring an employee happens. I would love to get a vote from developers here on whether they would ever do it. Vlad has already weighed in against.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I'm with everyone else - no way would I use Kevin's suggestion. But I wouldn't use a separate table either.

This is what I use when using checkboxes to select assorted records. It uses unbound checkboxes plus a textbox I call GF (for GotFocus) as a recipient of the focus to avoid the error the OP gets about a field not being editable.multiSelectFormWithChkBox.zip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.