Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Vita is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2002

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What is it you don't understand about JOIN?

When using the designer to build, if there is no link line connecting tables, will have to manually add it by clicking on key field and dragging to corresponding field of other table.

So, first build a SELECT query that has JOIN and WHERE clauses - make sure appropriate record(s) are retrieved - then switch to UPDATE to complete. Then look at SQLView to see statement.

The syntax I provided was per a site I reviewed https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/sql-update-with-join/. I did not test it.

There are many online tutorials for SQL.
    I tried looking at a few tutorials and I got this made up but it says it has a syntax error in UPDATE and then it proceeds to highlight FROM

Code:
    UPDATE TblMastertubeSET TblMastertube.Heat = TblHeatsMaster.Heats, TblMastertube.C = TblHeatsMaster.C,
     FROM TblMastertube 
         INNER JOIN TblHeatsMaster ON TblMastertube.Heat = TblHeatsMaster.Heats
    WHERE TblMastertube.Heat IN ([Forms]![FrmMastertube]![ImHeatCbo]);

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Again, updating same field that tables are linked on makes no sense. Although, it should work but is just unnecessary.

Need space between TblMastertube and SET. Did you use query builder Design View?

Okay, I did a test and the syntax I got from Access doesn't use FROM:

UPDATE TblMastertube
    SET TblMastertube.C = TblHeatsMaster.C
    WHERE TblMastertube.Heat = [Forms]![FrmMastertube]![ImHeatCbo];

If you used the query builder Design View as instructed, should have gotten a functional SQL.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Try a SPACE before the word SET

TblMastertubeSET
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Here is structure of an UPDATE query using Inner Join from my database that works as expected. Hope you caan use the structure to test/resolve your issue.

Code:
    UPDATE AnimalCapture INNER JOIN AnimalLocs 
    ON AnimalCapture.AnimalId = AnimalLocs.AnimalId 
    SET AnimalLocs.CaptureDateX = AnimalCapture!CaptureDate;

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Again, updating same field that tables are linked on makes no sense. Although, it should work but is just unnecessary.

Need space between TblMastertube and SET. Did you use query builder Design View?

Okay, I did a test and the syntax I got from Access doesn't use FROM:

UPDATE TblMastertube
    SET TblMastertube.C = TblHeatsMaster.C
    WHERE TblMastertube.Heat = [Forms]![FrmMastertube]![ImHeatCbo];

If you used the query builder Design View as instructed, should have gotten a functional SQL.
    I was using the link you sent earlier and typing it manually. This site. Specifically this code:
    Code:
    UPDATE Geeks1  SET col2 = Geeks2.col2,  
    col3 = Geeks2.col3  
    FROM Geeks1  
    INNER JOIN Geeks2 ON Geeks1.col1 = Geeks2.col1   WHERE Geeks1.col1 IN (21, 31);
    Where Geeks1 is TblMastertube (Since thats the one I want the update to be written to) and Geeks2 being TblHeatsMaster.
    I tried what you wrote and it comes up with a blank result/null value.

As for the space before SET, I had one its just when I copy paste the code for some reason it removes the first linebreak. Happened earlier in the forum too.
    Also I am unsure what you mean by updating the same field. I followed the guide from that site.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Here is structure of an UPDATE query using Inner Join from my database that works as expected. Hope you caan use the structure to test/resolve your issue.

Code:
    UPDATE AnimalCapture INNER JOIN AnimalLocs 
    ON AnimalCapture.AnimalId = AnimalLocs.AnimalId 
    SET AnimalLocs.CaptureDateX = AnimalCapture!CaptureDate;
    Thank you. I will try this.

June7 is online now VIP
    Your SQL is updating Heat field while also using Heat field in table link. The example you show does not do that.

Why are you not building with Design View?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2002
    I was using a mix of SQL and Design view. I just remade it in Design view from scratch and this is what I get now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled7.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	47901

Name:	Untitled8.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	47902

Name:	Untitled9.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	47903

Name:	Untitled10.jpg 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	47904

Here is the code it writes:
    Code:
    UPDATE TblMastertube, TblHeatsMaster 
    SET TblHeatsMaster.Heats = [TblMastertube]![Heat], TblHeatsMaster.C = [TblMastertube]![C]WHERE (((TblHeatsMaster.Heats)=[Forms]![FrmMastertube]![ImHeatCbo]));
    I tried linking the heat fields in the relationship boxes above like so:

Name:	Untitled11.jpg 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	47905
    but then the result becomes null/blank (Would have attached picture but 5 image limit.
    and here is the change in code when I link them:
    Code:
    UPDATE TblMastertube 
    SET TblHeatsMaster.Heats = [TblMastertube]![Heat], TblHeatsMaster.C = [TblMastertube]![C]WHERE (((TblHeatsMaster.Heats)=[Forms]![FrmMastertube]![ImHeatCbo]));

June7 is online now VIP
    Does SELECT TblMastertube.* INNER JOIN TblHeatsMaster ON TblMastertube.Heat = TblHeatsMaster.Heats; show records?

Then test the filter
    SELECT TblMastertube.* INNER JOIN TblHeatsMaster ON TblMastertube.Heat = TblHeatsMaster.Heats WHERE (((TblHeatsMaster.Heats)=[Forms]![FrmMastertube]![ImHeatCbo]));

If that works, then switch to UPDATE.

Again, don't update Heats or Heat field. Aren't you supposed to UPDATE TblMastertube table?

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Does SELECT TblMastertube.* INNER JOIN TblHeatsMaster ON TblMastertube.Heat = TblHeatsMaster.Heats; show records?

Then test the filter
    SELECT TblMastertube.* INNER JOIN TblHeatsMaster ON TblMastertube.Heat = TblHeatsMaster.Heats WHERE (((TblHeatsMaster.Heats)=[Forms]![FrmMastertube]![ImHeatCbo]));

If that works, then switch to UPDATE.

Again, don't update Heats or Heat field. Aren't you supposed to UPDATE TblMastertube table?
    This only works if ImHeatCbo has a value that is equal to an existing record in TblHeatsMaster and TblMastertube.
    Otherwise it returns null/empty. I still attempted to swap it over to update and it was telling me that I can't use an asterisk in update. It also made no sense when transferred over to an update because it was trying to pull information from TblMastertube and update to TblMastertube.

I don't understand what you mean. I am attempting to filter it so that the heat field and chemistry gets updated.
    So I want TblMastertube.Heat to be updated.

Here's an example:

I have an ID (that could be blank but for sake of example I am going to say has an old heat) that has an old/wrong heat number
    In TblMastertube:
    ID: 707
    Heat: A1007
    C: .0192
    ImHeatCbo = Heat: A1010

TblHeatsMaster:
    Heat: A1010
    C: .026

Upon hitting the ImHeatBttn:
    TblHeatsMaster: TblMastertube: Result: TblMastertube (ID: 707)
    Heat: A1010 ----> Heat: A1007 = Heat:A1010
    C: .026 ----> C: .0192 = C: .026
    Example was being funky so I hope you understand but it is overwriting/updating

Which is why the SET function is made to set TblHeatsmaster.Heats = TblMastertube.Heat
    with the critera being set to filter for the heat selected in the combo box. (
    WHERE (((TblHeatsMaster.Heats)=[Forms]![FrmMastertube]![ImHeatCbo]));

June7 is online now VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vita View Post
    Which is why the SET function is made to set TblHeatsmaster.Heats = TblMastertube.Heat
    with the critera being set to filter for the heat selected in the combo box. (
    That would replace value in TblHeatsmaster.Heats with value from TblMastertube.Heat. Isn't that reverse of what you really want?

If I now understand correctly, you want the TblMastertube.Heat number A1007 to disappear altogether and be replaced with TblHeatsmaster.Heats number A1010? Then linking on Heat fields will NOT work. And there are two filter criteria involved. Update only TblMastertube record A1007 and pull data from only TblHeatsmaster A1010. I think this will require VBA opening a recordset object. Have comboboxes to select TblHeatsmaster.Heats and TblMastertube.Heat
    Code:
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM tblHeatsmaster WHERE Heats = '" & Me.cbxHeatsMaster & "'"
    CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE TblMastertube SET Heat = '" & rs!Heats & "', C=" & rs!C & " WHERE ID=" & Me.cbxHeatTube
    Will you want to update every field in TblMastertube record or just some fields?

Does TblMastertube have any dependent related tables?

Windows 10 Access 2002
    That would replace value in TblHeatsmaster.Heats with value from TblMastertube.Heat. Isn't that reverse of what you really want?

If I now understand correctly, you want the TblMastertube.Heat number A1007 to disappear altogether and be replaced with TblHeatsmaster.Heats number A1010? Then linking on Heat fields will NOT work. And there are two filter criteria involved. Update only TblMastertube record A1007 and pull data from only TblHeatsmaster A1010. I think this will require VBA opening a recordset object. Have comboboxes to select TblHeatsmaster.Heats and TblMastertube.Heat
    Code:
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM tblHeatsmaster WHERE Heats = '" & Me.cbxHeatsMaster & "'"
    CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE TblMastertube SET Heat = '" & rs!Heats & "', C=" & rs!C & " WHERE ID=" & Me.cbxHeatTube
    Will you want to update every field in TblMastertube record or just some fields?

Does TblMastertube have any dependent related tables?
    I know it has been a while I got swamped with other aspects of work. I don't know if you want to still help but I figured I should continue here so others can reference this in the future if need be.

I want it to update whatever ID I am on.

Current:
    ID:763
    Heat: A1007
    C: .0192
    Combobox = A1010

After button press:
    ID:763
    Heat: A1010
    C: .026

So it updates the heat for that specific ID to equal the heat selected via the combobox.

Also I understand what you mean by the SET now and have flipped it.

June7 is online now VIP
    Did you try suggested code?

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Did you try suggested code?
    I did not because I am unfamiliar with record set. VBA is the program that opens when I go to edit an event procedure correct?
    Do I just open the ImHeatBttn Event Procedure and add the code there?

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, that is the VBA editor.

Yes, button Click event is suitable.

Windows 10 Access 2002
    Yes, that is the VBA editor.

Yes, button Click event is suitable.
    I tried the code (Had to add a end parenthesis on the end of set because it was saying it expected one to close the selection) and it says " Compile error: User-defined type not defined" while highlighting
    Code:
    rs As DAO.Recordset
    (Also note that in the full code I do have "Dim" in the front of this but VBA was only highlighting this section)

When I was googling recordset I saw that the Microsoft documentation says it only applies to 2013. Is this perhaps something I don't have in the 2000 version?

Full code here:
    Code:
    Private Sub ImHeatBttn_Click()On Error GoTo Err_Import_Click

Dim stDocName As String

stDocName = "QupdImHeat"
        DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit
        Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
        Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM tblHeatsmaster WHERE Heats = '" & Me.cbxHeatsMaster & "'")
        Me.Requery
    Exit_Import_Click:
        Exit Sub

Err_Import_Click:
        MsgBox Err.Description
        Resume Exit_Import_Click
    End Sub

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.