Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    twgonder is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2021

Easiest? What does it take to convert 10,000 BE databases to SQL servers? And how about the FE applications? And the cost of putting in all those 10,000 servers? Now multiply by millions of Access users. I think it would be "easier" for MS to catch up with their own Windows technology (since XP and Server 2003) and make ACE VSS compliant.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    Thought it was lost. Deleted duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by twgonder View Post
    What does it take to convert 10,000 BE databases to SQL servers?
    Since in post #1 Topsie stated that they are supporting a small organization I don't suppose they have 10000 Access files, but 1 SQL server can run several databases. How much depends on the size of the databases and their loads. We have about 20 databases per SQL server, with 20-50 simultaneous users/database.
    Quote Originally Posted by twgonder View Post
    And how about the FE applications?
    If you keep the table structure the same you can just relink the tables in your front end, so no problem there
    And the cost of putting in all those 10,000 servers?
    If you use SQL express its free. In this case you will need to run a POWER shell script on regular times to do the backup because SQL express doesn't have a job agent.
    MS to catch up with their own Windows technology (since XP and Server 2003)
    MS itself advises to use SQL server (express) as back-end database when frequent backups or increased security is needed.

Windows 10 Access 2021
    @NoellaG post #18. Sorry, I was thinking about the entire Access base of users, and a business that grows in time to maybe more than one location. Oh, my app is being written to accommodate a national health care payment system which will have multiple BEs in every big city and one in every small town, thousands which aggregate to dozens which aggregate to a national office. I can see SQL Server at the national and regional levels, but it makes no sense in every small-town office that may have two or three users. 2GB limit is sufficient for the small office, which are only connected with the Internet for synchronization. Now, if we could just get a reliable ACE backup to run intra-day while users are online. Like I said, isn't it about time MS incorporate their own VSS Windows technology into their own Office products? It's only been 20 years already.

And while MS is at it, since all their other Internet initiatives have failed, maybe they could buckle down and get Access to work on WANs and Wifi?

In your case I would than advise SQL Express (free version, can take up to 10 GB data) for the local offices with a Powershell script to automate the back-ups, and SQL server standard or enterprise for the higher levels. In this case you can work in the local offices without internet and still use Access as front-end. You can set up a replication that runs once or a few times/day to send the local data to the central server.
    MS is now moving all to the cloud, so you can look there for a solution, or you can look for another solution away from microsoft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.