Garrettj is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Running Access from Microsoft 365

My wife has been an Access user for near 2 decades. She wants to begin (and I do as well) storing files in the cloud so that she can open them on whatever machine she's logged into and work locally. I see that with M365, the Access and Publisher products are run locally. I'm wondering if Access files will be stored in the cloud, or locally. I want her to get the benefit of logging in from anywhere, and having access to her files, including her Access files, so she can work from anywhere that has Access.

Would appreciate any help.

thanks
    Garrett

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    One drive and similar provide file transfer functionality, not the in file changes that occur with an access file.

What will happen when you open a file in these locations is the entire file will be transferred to your local machine and then copied back when the file is closed. Not sure whether the local copy would be destroyed or not.

So if your wife is the only one using the file, it should be OK but is a big no-no if multiple users might want to use the file as well.

you say

can work from anywhere that has Access
    not sure what that means. If it means she is on a clients machine (not her own) that has access installed and needs to access a file from her one drive she may have issues if the client is using 32bit access (365 is 64bit) and/or an earlier version as they may not be compatible. Certainly any code would need to be written with 32/64bit in mind. Primarily around using api's - plenty of information on this and other forums about how to manage it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.