b123 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Dissapearing Forms

Hi, I have a tabbed subform that I am trying to build. It consist of a main entry form that is linked to 10 or 12 subforms through a specific field. I have created the main form which has combo boxes to look up exisiting records and to look up customer names to associate and save with the current record. All works fine until I try to add another page to the form. The Specify Relationship dialog box appears and ask how I am going to relate the two tables together and through what field. I selected the appropriate field then continued to add fiels to the form utilizing the add existing fields tool. When I try to go back to the Form view the main form is void of any of the tabbed sub forms. I have tried to link different fields and the same happens. Thanks for the advice.

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You may want to check on the limit of subforms you can have within a main form. I'm not sure what it is but I would avoid having more than a couple of subforms. When it comes to tab controls and subforms within a tab control, the best option is to not have a sourceobject for the subform control for the tabs the user isn't going to see when it opens (after all, why load these when the user isn't going to see them) and then in the OnChange event of the tab control, populate the sourceobject of the subform (kind of like a "shell" type subform.)

This will make your main form load quicker and also prevent problems with having multiple, multiple subforms all loading at once.

b123 is offline Novice
    Thanks I think that what I was attempting to do was structuraly incorrect. Since I have changed my approach to a multiform system inserted into a navigation form. Then I included a combo box on the top of each page to store the same quote number for each table included in the program. It is not as automated as I was trying do but it seems to be working well and providing some additional flexabilty.
    Do you know how to have the form open as a dialog box only. Once I am finished with the program I would like to have it open without the access backend, only the form as a dialog type box floating on the screen. I hope this make since

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    To have the form pop up with the MsAccess background, see one of these examples (I can't recall which one it's in):

https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...ples-7540.html

https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...ples-7544.html

https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...mple-7543.html

If it's not in one of the examples above, check the code repository.

b123 is offline Novice
    Thanks a lot this is going to come in handy. I already have a lot of ideas of how to apply this. I have been working with access for about three weeks now and I have learned a lot already. I can see that you can take this really far as you have done. Very nice work. Have a good one.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.