jjf189 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Access Not Responding on initial open

We use Access in a number of locations where the computers are on a network without Internet access. We have installed Office Professional 2019 (32 bit), and the product is activated. I have found that when I attempt to open Access, the application will hang (window indicates "not responding") for about 30-45 seconds and then function completely normal. This occurs if I open without a database, with a newly created "blank database" or with the database that I use for our operation (local data only, no remote connections).

If I update the firewall to allow Internet access, the application opens immediately. When I update again to prohibit Internet access, the application will open normally for an indeterminate period of a few days, then eventually begin to hang up again.

- The operating system is Windows 10
    - The computers are new with more than sufficient available resources
    - This only occurs for Access, not Excel or Word
    - I have observed the behavior on multiple PC's, in multiple locations
    - I have observed the behavior with the Microsoft account signed in, and signed out
    - I have updated "Account Privacy" settings to eliminate any online diagnostics/experiences/content
    - I have disabled Office updates and still observe the behavior
    - I have uninstalled Office and re-installed and still observe the behavior

This is becoming a major nuisance for my users, and making me crazy, but I am at loss what else to try.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Not clear if Access app resides on each user's pc or if you're attempting to open Access app from a network location. You would not want to do the latter. It is another thing to host a back end Access db file on a server where each user has the Access app on their machine. I'm also thinking nothing like remote access/terminal services/Citrix is not involved here.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

jjf189 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Everything is local. Local Access application, local database, no remote data. Same behavior even when I save a "blank database" on the local drive and attempt to re-open it.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Same behavior even when I save a "blank database" on the local drive and attempt to re-open it.
    Still not clear.

Is the database split with each user having a front end on their computer and the back end on the network?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

jjf189 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    There is no back end. There is only one user. All the data is local. However, the database itself seems to be irrelevant since I also experience "Not Responding" when attempting to open a blank database (no tables, no data, no objects).

The issue appears to be MSAccess.exe attempting to contact a Microsoft server on the internet when it opens, even though this is local installation (not Office 360 subscription). Access will eventually open, even if it can't connect to the Microsoft site, but there is a long delay when it is trying to connect.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.