enilc is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

laccdb on BE file

Greetings,

I have a split database with 15 users. Each user has the Front End installed on their own computer and all connect to the same Back End on the server.

When users open the FE, a .laccdb file gets created on their computer, and an .laccdb gets created in the folder with the BE.accdb.

When a user closes their FE, the .laccdb on their computer removes them and and lock file gets deleted. However, the lock file in the BE folder does not get updated.

The result is that I end up with a .laccdb in the back end folder with the accumulated connections by all users that does not allow me to make BE edits.

All users have "full control" permissions to the entire backend folder and subfolders. But their connections are not removed from the lock file.

Being a small organization, I have the ability to get all users to close out of the db, but that does not solve the BE lock file issue.

The only workaround that works is to reboot the server and delete the lock file before anyone connects. That's not a viable long-term workaround.

I have also tried a compact/repair on the BE db while nobody is connected (in case there is corruption) but the problem returns as soon as the first person connects.

I know this is an age-old problem...I've been rummaging around the internet for weeks looking for a solution and I find the problem dating back >10 years. The only solutions I've been able to find are "fix permissions" and "reboot the server."

I'm hoping someone here might have some insight? I appreciate any assistance.

Steve

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I have the same setup, but when users exit the FE, the backend lock file will vanish if nobody is in it. (normal)

Is it possible when they exit, there's still an Access running in the background, not letting go? I've had this happen a few times and it does keep the lock file open.
    This 'phantom' access can only be removed in TaskManager. Tho it doesnt happen often.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Did this just start happening? As long as there isn't a left-over connection as Ranman is saying, maybe it's related to this

https://www.devhut.net/another-acces...ore-databases/

I've seen threads where someone swears updates can't be responsible, only to find out it was.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

enilc is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks Ranman

The problem is persistent at this point. Users are never deleted from the lock file on the BE db.

Another detail I've noticed, the lock file actually consists of the computer names and the user 'admin' from each

So the file consists of: LAPTOP21 Admin Laptop7 Admin Desktop12 Admin

Users login to their computers using regular AD, so there is no 'Admin' user.

the lock file updates whenever anyone makes a change to the database.

But the user isn't removed from the file.

What I cannot determine is whether it is acting correctly by opening both lock files...one on the local FE machine and one for the BE on the server?

The 'owner' of the lock file appears to be the person who first opens the database after the lock file has been deleted by rebooting the server.

enilc is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    @Micron : I will investigate that update. Thanks

I should've mentioned sooner: we're using MS 365 Apps for Enterprise. Showing: version 2201 (Build 14827.20220 Click-to-run)

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Admin is the default user level in the lock file, so that means nothing. It might have been something else in the days of WorkGroup files for Access but I can't recall. You could test if the 1st in is removed from the file when out. If not, I'd test again with another 1st user. However, if the file is static on the server (i.e. isn't being updated or replaced) that won't tell you anything. One thing I recall is that our local network admin often struggled trying to get rights correct when using Active Directory, which more than once contributed to the cause of the problem. Another was some IT guy who altered the server in some way so he could command more of its processing time, thus delaying the refresh, which caused the file to remain for extended periods. Couldn't even delete the lock file in File Explorer.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.