markcrobinson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Compiled Access Limitation (.accde)

I have an access database where a "search" field in a form filters a drop down menu - they click on the entry they want and that record is displayed.
    When I compile it, though, it opens in read only. I can enter data in the search field, filter the list, but I can't click on the entry that I want -- I assume because it's read only.

The purpose of the program is to search a HUGE list by customer name, or part of customer name -- select the correct one and display that customer's record in a subform.

How can I do this in a compiled version of the program?

Info:
    Search Box creates a filtered lookup of a field called Source Name (which is a query)
    SELECT Customers.[Source Name], Customers.[Name Zip], Customers.[Name E-Mail], Customers.[Name Phone #]
    FROM Customers
    WHERE (((Customers.[Source Name]) Like "*" & [Forms]![CustomerDisplay]![Search] & "*"));

Click on the one you want and that customer's orders are displayed in a subform.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it should be nothing to do with being a .accde, it's because the file is readonly. So you need to look outside of access for the reason that may be - perhaps user does not have the necessary folder rights, perhaps they are using a shortcut which specifies readonly.

I presume the app is split into FE and BE and each user has a copy of the FE on their local device. If not, that might also be a reason why.

Other things to check - is the file in a trusted location? Has code been enabled?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Sorry, BE and FE? what do those stand for?

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    BE = Backend Database - this should only hold your data - the Tables.
    FE = Frontend Database - this contains everything except the tables. It is uses the tables linked in the backend.

If you have everything in one file then you should research splitting your database.
    http://www.databasedev.co.uk/splitti...-database.html
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The compiled version I am creating (which contains both the front end and back end in one file) is intended on being single user on each desktop. Am I Correct that splitting the front and back ends is ideal for multi-user networked version?

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    even for a single user, better to split the app if only for maintenance purposes. If you need to fix a bug or add additional functionality - how are you going to do that? Each user send you their db, you make the changes and send it back? for each user?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.