krag is offline Medium experience
    Windows 10 Office 365

.laccdb file not clearing even after exiting project

This issue has come up suddenly and for the first time yesterday, in all the many years that I have been developing new projects.
    I am working on a totally stand-alone PC with no network connection with any other PC and everything was going well with a new project under development by me for last 2 years (Covid period) till day before yesterday.
    I had a daily backup routine to save copies of all the front end and back end files as backup, both within the PC and also in a different PC.
    I am using MS Defender for virus protection and getting the updates done everyday (even today).
    After I encountered the problem yesterday, I did a full scan of all the files in the PC and no threats were detected.
    The problem is as below:
    As usual I opened the front end file (no log-in password set yet) and started a test run of a function and went through fine as before.
    When I tried to re-run the test, the VBA threw up a runtime error when running a make-table query.

The table made by the query is subsequently used as a recordset to pick up data for further functions.
    The error said that the recordset is already in use by another user ("Admin" of the same PC) and so cannot be accessed by current user (that is myself).
    I tried to end the program with the error, and retried other functions and same kind of error kept coming up in different similar queries.
    I then closed the project completely and checked the file directory and in doing so it threw up a MS Access error as below:
    "You attempted to open a database that is already opened by user 'Admin' on machine 'SERVICE3'. Try again when the database is available."
    'SERVICE3' is the PC which I am using for this project.
    I checked the file directory where the project is stored and found that the .laccdb file of the project is still there below the main file .accdb file with 'Modified date/time' showing as the first time I opened the project.
    This .laccdb file is showing as locked status and if I try to delete it, it throws up message that it is open and cannot be deleted.
    In this condition, I try to open the original file directly from the directory but cannot be opened and there is no message as well.
    However, I can still open the file from Access app, but again the same problem persists as above.
    In doing so the 'Modified date/time' of the .laccdb file has changed to the new time.
    I have tried the whole procedure by re-starting the computer and find that the .laccdb file is still there and it means the problem is still there.

I ran the project on another PC with the back-up files and everything was working fine fortunately.
    Other MS Office apps do not seem to have any problem now.

Unfortunately I cannot log in to the PC as 'Admin' to check the status as that would require that I am on the client's domain network system which is in a different country.
    To do that, I may be able to run the PC on a shared domain through internet but before that, would like to get a feedback from our experts in this forum if such an issue has come up so far elsewhere.
    This does not seem to be a virus issue but I feel that one of the MS windows updates could have created this issue (we did have a similar issue with an update some years back relating to queries and tables and it was resolved by MS after a few months of discovery).

Looking forward to some positive feedback.
    PS: As the PC is getting too old and slow as well, I am planning to replace it some time soon.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Just adding some further findings on the problem.
    Tried to run some of the older established projects (already in use at client for almost 5 years).
    Exactly same problem is appearing.

Another bit of information:
    Make Table query's table is in the front end file itself as it is mostly a temporary use table for that specific function.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi Welshgasman
    Thanks for the pointer.
    I also now saw several posts in this forum relating to the same problem in different scenarios.
    I tried most of the tips available so far but none of them have solved the problem.
    In conclusion it seems that as long as the other user (Admin in my case) is present in the device, it is blocking some table along the way and prevents the actual user (myself in this case) from proceeding further.
    I will have to connect to the client's network overseas and find a way to get rid of the Admin in my device.
    It does not show up as it is in my device now and so cannot remove it here.

Meanwhile I checked personally with one of my client users overseas using a desktop with the projects installed and running for last 5+ years.
    As that desktop is totally stand-alone and there is only one user registered in the device, it seems there was no problem encountered so far.
    All windows and Office 365 updates till yesterday were done but no issues.

I have to check with 2 other users of the same project, who also basically use on stand-alone basis like me but have an administrator user also registered in their devices.
    I am afraid they will encounter the problem like me, but over last week they have not run the project at all and wouldn't know the situation.

I plan to get a new laptop next week and will ensure that there is no other user registered in the device and hopefully can avoid the problem that way.
    Meanwhile hope MS comes up with the fix for this soonest.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi Welshgasman
    After my last message, I did a review of all the steps that took to check if I had missed out something and now I did find it which seems to have solved the problem.
    I had set all the related drives in my PC as Trusted locations in the Trust Center setting but had not set to include all the subfolders in the drives.
    Also to remove the unwanted .laccdb files, I re-started the PC and in the security setting of the properties of this file, I set Allow Full Control (this is possible as my User is Administrator type).
    With this I was able to delete the unwanted .laccdb files.
    After that I have re-run a few of my projects and tested various functions and there was no problem.
    When closing the project also, there is no message of other user using it, etc.

Just to make doubly sure, I removed the sub-folder check box in Trusted Locations and on re-running the project, the problem re-appears.
    Finally now I have reset properly back and everything seems to be going well.
    That was a huge relief and I do not have to wait for my new PC to arrive to resume my development project.
    Thanks again for all the tips.
    I will close this thread as Solved, after I have checked through for a couple of days.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.