HansBades is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Database Design Question

I am capturing work orders. Each work order repair will involve different parts. For instance, one work order repair to a specific room might require a new door handle and a new window. Another might require 2 new windows but no door handle. Each part (sku), individually, must have an approval code for why that part was chosen. Sometimes, the approval code is pretty straightforward. For instance, the approval code might state that it was the least cost part that met the requirements and the approval code for that is “least cost”. But sometimes the approval code is “sole source” meaning that there was no discussion or research around the least cost part but it was automatically ordered from a single supplier. When this occurs, I need one more field: “Sole Source Explanation”. It is essentially a text field where more explanation is needed to justify why there was no research and this was a sole source part. It usually is because there is only one supplier who makes the part but there can be other reasons as well. How should I design the relationships between tables to capture this Sole Source Explanation field? Again, it will only be used when the approval code selection “Sole Source” is chosen but not when another value is chosen like “least cost”.
    I have the following design so far below. Trying to figure out where to put the Sole Source Explanation table and how it should relate to the other tables. Thank you for any help.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have the following design so far below.
    Forgot your pic?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DDiagram.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	47201

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You could go with another field in approval codes to store unique textual reasons why, but this would repeat any other fields as well. I suggest another table for approval code descriptions or notes. Change approvalcode to approvalcodeIDfk and relate it to this new table PK. This would allow more than one approval code in a record as well.

I assume that pic is incomplete as it seems to me that you don't have some fields (and maybe even other tables to break out tasks, status', costs, etc.).
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    what is not clear to me from your description is whether the sole source explanation relates to a particular part, regardless of where it is being used, or will (or could) be different for different rooms. I suspect the former in which case it should be stored in the SKU table, if the latter the worksordersku table.

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    What about a separate table for the explanation field that has a 1-to-1 relationship to Workordersku?

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you all. I was able to resolve it by setting up a separate table in a 1-1

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.