Glenley is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Trying to Insert Random Selections into a Random History Table but getting incorrect data

I have a query that generates a top percentile random order followed by an Append query to insert those selections into a History Table. my problem is that because I'm returning a random order, the data that's appended to the history table does not match the data from my random query. The code is as follows:

Code:
    Private Sub btnTest2_Click()

Dim StrSql As String
        Dim qDef As QueryDef
        Dim Cust As Long
        Dim AppQ As String

Randomize
        StrSql = "SELECT TOP " & Nz(Me.PercentCombo, 100) & " PERCENT DonorT.DonorID, DonorT.DonorFirstName, DonorT.DonorLastName, DonorT.DonorGroupID, DonorT.DonorIsActive, Rnd([DonorID]*Timer()*-1) AS X, CustomerT.OrganizationID"
        StrSql = StrSql & " FROM OfficerEmployerT RIGHT JOIN (CustomerT RIGHT JOIN (GroupT INNER JOIN DonorT ON GroupT.GroupID = DonorT.DonorGroupID) ON CustomerT.OrganizationID = DonorT.OrganizationID) " _
                & "ON OfficerEmployerT.OfficerID = DonorT.OfficerID"
        StrSql = StrSql & " WHERE CustomerT.OrganizationID=[Forms]![RandomF]![CustomerCombo] AND DonorT.DonorGroupID=[Forms]![RandomF]![GroupCombo] AND DonorIsActive=True"
        StrSql = StrSql & " ORDER BY Rnd([DonorID]*Timer()*-1);"

Set qDef = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("RandomQ")

qDef.SQL = StrSql
        qDef.Close
        Set qDef = Nothing
        Randomize
        DoCmd.OpenQuery "RandomQ"

AppQ = "INSERT INTO RandomT(DonorID, DonorFirstName, DonorLastName, GroupID, OrganizationID) " & _
                "SELECT DonorID, DonorFirstName, DonorLastName, DonorGroupID, OrganizationID " & _
                "FROM RandomQ"

If MsgBox("Are these the random selections that will be tested?" & vbNewLine & "If not, select NO and run again", vbYesNo, "Official Random Selections") = vbYes Then
            DoCmd.SetWarnings False
            DoCmd.RunSQL AppQ
            DoCmd.SetWarnings True
        Else
            DoCmd.Close acQuery, "RandomQ"
        End If

End Sub
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also, some help on how to better randomize these selections would be awesome

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe don't save RandomQ query object.

"FROM (" & StrSQL & ") AS RandomQ"

Remove semi-colon at end of StrSQL build.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks June7. I tried that but still getting the same results. The appended records are completely random and not the records retrieved from the StrSQL build. Dealing with randomization has been challenging to say the least

June7 is offline VIP
    Why should they match? My suggestion is to eliminate RandomQ object.

Save random set directly into history table (RandomT ?). Use the history records as source for testing. Filter on GroupID, assuming it is a unique value for each test dataset.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    I think I understand what you are saying. The RandomQ object is not what is causing me trouble though. We do drug testing for companies and have to make random selections monthly and quarterly for each group within the company form a Donor Table (DonorT). The groups are DOT and nonDOT certified employees. We run the groups seperately because the requirements for each group are different. The RandomT is only there for record keeping purposes so we can see a history of which employees have been selected in the past. The trouble is after I run RandomQ and get my selections, When I go to append those records into the history table (RandomT), it's another random selection that does not match the records that were selected in the RandomQ. So it's essentially a false history. For example, RandomQ might return John D, and Sally F but when I append those records into RandomT it might add Joe P and Chris T instead of John and Sally. it seems like it is randomizing the records again when i run the append query.

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, that will happen because you are executing the randomization every time RandomQ is referenced. You need to commit the random selection to a table, not rely on the query for a persistent dataset. If not history (RandomT ?) then a 'temp' table (table is permanent but data is not). Then maybe save the temp dataset to final history table once testing is completed.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Okay, I see what you're saying. That makes sense now. I'll have to play around with that idea and see what I can come up with. I wonder if i could use a recordset to randomly select records???...hmm, I have some more work to do on this. Thanks for the help

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, a recordset can be opened with random query. I just helped someone with that (https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=85707). But again, need to save to table if you want result to persist. So what is benefit of recordset in your case?

Windows 10 Office 365
    I'm just brainstorming out loud mostly. I will check out that thread though

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 10 Office 365
    Yes, I saw that. Thank you

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.