Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Switchboard

I have 10 identical databases e.g, wall-1, wall-2...wall-10. Each database has it's own Switchboard. Is there anyway I can create a Master Switchboard with a button for each of the 10 databases such that when I click on a button (e.g., Wall-1's database) it opens that database's unique Switchboard? Each wall's Switchboard would have a button to exit and return to the Master Switchboard. In other words create a relationship between the 10 databases and the Master Switchboard.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JoeLen

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    why have 10 identical databases?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Agree. The situation makes little sense.
    If you must have 10 db's for some reason, you'd have one switchboard form in a front end and this db would have tables linked from the other db's. However, I suspect those db's are not split either, but they should be. It is also likely that most of these db's contain tables with the same names, so that would be a problem.
    There is something wrong with your approach, I think.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    This is for a Columbarium which has 10 walls. Each wall has 80 Niches. Someone purchases a Niche on one of the Walls. We have to know at any given time which Niches have been sold on which Wall and who owns it along with whose Urn is enclosed . We have to keep good management of the Columbarium.

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    "you'd have one switchboard form in a front end and this db would have tables linked from the other db's. " This is probably what I am thinking of, but don't know how to go about it.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    This is for a Columbarium which has 10 walls. Each wall has 80 Niches. Someone purchases a Niche on one of the Walls. We have to know at any given time which Niches have been sold on which Wall and who owns it along with whose Urn is enclosed . We have to keep good management of the Columbarium.
    Then you are definitely off on the wrong foot. Question is, are you willing to backtrack and fix it? You need to consolidate all into one db, unless you have millions of records at this point. If so, it's debatable.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    It is early, so I am willing to backtrack and consolidate all into one db. With 10 Walls , each having 7 Queries, 8 reports and 2 forms, (each unique to it's own db) wouldn't this be a huge consolidation?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Post 7 was moderated, I'm posting to trigger email notifications.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I am a novice trying to set up a management system for our Church and am willing to attempt to consolidate the dbs into one db. Each db has the following items attached to it. Wouldn't this be a large consolidation?

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    7 Queries, 3 forms and 8 reports

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hmmm, something wrong with your browser (multiple similar posts)? To answer your question, the road you have chosen is more tortuous than fixing it now - trust me. I say that with some 30 years of Access experience under my belt. If you want to delve into how to fix this, write a short description of what the db is supposed to support. Write that in a way that you would explain it to someone who's being interviewed for this job but focus on how your organization manages the business and how this db should support that. More than likely there will still be questions, so if you stick with it, I'm sure that there are many here who will be willing to pitch in and get you to where you should be.

In the end I suspect you'll end up with one db and about 5 tables in all:
    Cemetery
    Wall
    Niche
    Deceased
    and one or more associated tables.

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks. Will do

Joelen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    COLUMBARIUM
    The Columbarium will have 10 Walls.
    Each Wall will hold 80 Niches, each will hold 2 Urns (space “a” and space “b”).

The data that we will need to collect for each of the 10 Walls (and identifiable by Wall & Niche; e.g., Wall 4, Niche 1 ) is:

-Wall #
    -Niche #
    -Space ‘a’ or ‘b’ or both (a space is where an Urn is placed)
    -name
    -purchase date
    -purchase price

-name of person in Urn 1
    -date inurnment approve
    -date of death
    -inurnment date

-name of person in Urn 2
    -date inurnment approve
    -date of death
    -inurnment date

-(a Niche might be sold or reassigned to someone else)
    -name of this person

-name of a contact person

Not being well versed in ACCESS I now have 10 dbs, one for each wall. How do I have only one db with switchboards, tables, queries and reports to treat each wall seperatly?

Help is certainly appreciated.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    As trite as it may sound/read, this is not a big deal (at first glance anyway). However, you have used a few terms that are unfamiliar to the uninitiated (just me?) so speaking for myself, it will require a wee bit of Google-ing to understand some of it.

One question jumps to my mind: will the columbarium (child) be associated with only one cemetery/church/funeral services business (parent) or will it be something else?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.