sam813 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question How to update multiple tables at once in Query Design

New to Access and I was wondering if it's possible to update multiple tables at once in design view. I saved the query but I have multiple tables to draw from and a need to export the files individually by month. Right now the only option is to drop down each table in the Table row and select the new table that I've dragged in from the left. Is there a faster way? I Googled for an answer and couldn't find anything.

Attached is a screenshot for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access Query.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	46885

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You can't update multiple tables at once with a single ms access sql statement. But can call a bunch of individual sql statements consecutively in a vba procedure.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    in design view, maybe, depends on what you query actually is and whether criteria is required. If all you are changing is the table name, it sounds like your data isn't normalised since I would not expect the see the same field names in multiple tables (with the exception perhaps of foreign keys).

So to the maybe - if you are selecting all fields and there is no criteria, there is a query property called 'output all fields'. Change this to yes then there is no need to put anything in the query grid. If you do have a single criteria, drag this field to the query grid, untick the show box, you will need to change the name of the table there before deleting the old table. But then, you might as well just export the table

The other thing you can do is having created your query make multiple copies, editing each for another table. At least this way you do not need to edit at all

Think you need to do some reading up on database normalisation, naming conventions and automation. If data isn't normalised you will be creating an unmanageable situation.

EDIT: There is another way - alias your table (go to properties, select the table). Then go to sql view and change the table name once there

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.