b123 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Finding Records with Form

Hi guys I have a tabbed form that is updating multiple tables through linked fields in both forms. I would like to use the main form to pull up existing records or to create new ones across the subordinate forms, but the problem is that when I try type in the quote number field (this is the parent /child field) it attempts to edit the current record viewing instead of advancing to that existing record. I have looked at the property settings and can't figure out how to set this up. Please help

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It sounds like you want to try the combo box wizard, choosing the third option, "Find a record...". The problem with what you have is that the text/combo box you're using is bound to the underlying table, so as you've seen it updates an existing record. The combo created by the wizard won't be bound to a field (no control source).
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

b123 is offline Novice
    I have tried that but when i use the combo box it doesnt update the subordinate forms so that they populate the information associated with the quote number selected. Currently the only way that I can get all of the other forms to cooperate is to cycle through the the records buttons at the bottom of the form. Also when I select the correct record through the combo. I notice that the record buttons dont indicate that I have actually changed records.

Windows XP Access 2007
    The normal way of keeping subforms in sync with the main form is the Master/Child link properties of the subform controls. Are those set correctly?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

b123 is offline Novice
    Yes I believe they are. When a record in the main form is created it appears in the subform and the foriegn key field is recorded in the subform table. Also when I cycle through the records in the main form and switch to the sub form it has populated the data associated with the current record in the main form. However I can only do this using the access record control buttons to cycle through the records. When i use the combo box to select an existing record nothing happens.

b123 is offline Novice
    I have viewed the help file on the combo boxes and I see the problem. In the video there is a third option as you metioned before. In my combo wizard there are only two options. How can change the settings to include the third option.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I believe the wizard will only show the third option when the form is bound to a table. I've seen it not show when the form is bound to SQL. It produces code like this:

Code:
    Private Sub Combo16_AfterUpdate()
       'Find the record that matches the control.
       Dim rs                      As Object

Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone
       rs.FindFirst "[ID] = " & str(Me![Combo16])
       Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
    End Sub
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

b123 is offline Novice
    I am really confused now I did what you said and bound the Page 1 form to the table. Then I added a combo box with the wizard and the third option it works great, but now I lost connectivity to the page 2. I have been trying everything that I can think of to reestablish the link between these forms/with no luck. What I am trying to do is set up a combo box on page 1. Then use the combo box to pull up a record that would populate the data associated across all forms with the current record selected. Then be able to add/edit all fields on all forms except page 1 which is the reference. I appreaciate the help you are giving me. I am new to access and have been spending many hours studying to create this program.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Can you post the db?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

b123 is offline Novice
    I just got my problem solved. On a hunch I deleted all of the previous fields and then reset them in the 2nd page and everything is working properly. I thought I was losing my mind for a minute. Thanks so much for the help it got me thinking in the right direction.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Ah good, glad you got it working.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.