Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016

If all images are linked it should not affect your db file size - because they're not embedded or stored in a table. When you set a picture property for a command button or image control, just be sure to link rather than embed. IMO, it makes the most sense to have an image folder as a subfolder to the folder containing the db. Then you can store the image path as a relative path and everything (image linking-wise) should be OK no matter where the db folder and its subfolder(s) is kept. There is a CurrentProject.Path property that identifies where the project is stored, so all you have to do is add the image subfolder path to that path.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

LeonS is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron - thanks for that. I have begun the process. I have added the Field "Photo" to my Master1 table. On my Contacts form, I have added 2 new fields. A text box linked to the Photo field and an Image field linked to the Photo field. If I type the complete path to the Image Folder/ Image Name.jpg/png, the image appears on my Contacts form. I will now go through the process of converting the JPGs to PNGs. There is one more question I will be asking on the (associated with the path), but I want to get it all working first!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron - thanks for that. I have begun the process. I have added the Field "Photo" to my Master1 table. On my Contacts form, I have added 2 new fields. A text box linked to the Photo field and an Image field linked to the Photo field. If I type the complete path to the Image Folder/ Image Name.jpg/png, the image appears on my Contacts form. I will now go through the process of converting the JPGs to PNGs. There is one more question I will be asking on the (associated with the path), but I want to get it all working first!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron - does it matter if the images are JPG or PNG if they are stored outside the database?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron - does it matter if the images are JPG or PNG if they are stored outside the database?

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    JPGs are a lossy image format (detail is removed to save space) which doesn't always look good in Access.
    PNGs are a similar size but that format gives better quality results

However, converting JPGs to e.g. PNG can't restore the missing info.
    Also if you use the EXIF data from JPGs, that will be removed on conversion.

If the images are linked, leave them in their current format.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Agree with that.
    The textbox is how you get the image file path into a table field which the image control is linked to? Are these images static or are you swapping them out occasionally? If static, all you need to do is select the image control with the property sheet open. Then choose picture type property (Linked), then on picture property click on the ellipses and use the resulting file dialog to navigate to the file. Or just paste the path into the picture property.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.