Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    LeonS is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello! I had to look up the word "Cartesian"!!! I have a total of 12 Tables (4 of which are 'related'), 27 Queries, 24 Forms, 2 Reports, 9 Macros and 7 Modules (mainly converted Macros). The Master1 table contains 4 test records (this will grow as real records are added by the user). In the other tables there are about 20 records, the numbers are not expected to grow as they are lists rather than records.

Most of the queries are based on one or sometimes 2 tables - never 3 or more. The Master1 is people. Thus a query might be fields from that Master1 table plus the Company table. The queries 'feed' forms which are then displayed to look better than a regular query result.
    The database is almost finished. But I am testing each of the buttons and functions. After each long session, I will do a CaR.
    I am also going through the script to delete any wasted lines or old and remmed out lines. I do not really do code, so I am leaving that intact. But sometimes I will do a save and compile. And attend to any problems that are found. I hope this helps. Leon

If there are no production data in the database, it could be very usefull if you could post a zipped example, so we can look at it.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    NoellaG - Thanks for that suggestion. The problem seemed to go away after I exported all files to a new blank database (as per one suggestion). And there seemed a variation if I opened the db from a desktop icon or opened via the TaskBar.
    I am in the middle of making some alterations to the whole db (adding a new form and moving buttons from one form to the new form), so I will pass for the time being.
    The main reason I do not understand is that the db is quite small 65Mb at the last count, and there is nothing complex.

Windows 10 Access 2016

After Compact and Repair, I get an error message!!

Hello! Back again! The error message problem has not gone away. I was in the process of exporting all the objects to a new blank db to zip and send to you. When I finished exporting the Forms, I though I would do a Compact and Repair (CaR). This I did and there was no error message. I tried again and there was an error message! So I am now attaching a zip file of the Forms of my DB. I hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks, Leon. Aaaah! I cannot upload the file as, at 5 Mb, it exceeds to 2 Mb limit. I will go away and reduce the number of Forms and see if I can get below the 2 Mb, whilst still getting the error message.

Windows 10 Access 2016

After Compact and Repair, I get an error message!!

Noella.zip

Hello! Just to give you an update. I have deleted one of the big Forms, and the problem remains. I deleted another big Form and the problem seems to have gone away. No!! I tried to do a CaR and the problem came back. One thing I have noticed is that the db gives the error message if I try to open it from the TaskBar. It opens normally if I open it directly from the Explore folder. I have deleted another couple of Forms and it zips to less that 2 Mb. And the error still shows.

CarlettoFed is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    Tried everything seems to be regular, but the tables and queries are missing.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for that. I did not include the Tables and Queries as the db would be to big to zip down to 2 Mb. Also, for me, the error message came up when I tried to CaR the new db with only the Forms included. Did you try to CaR more than once. When I did it the first time, there was no problem. But when I tried again, the error message was displayed and I could not get into the db.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Successfully compared three times. However the file size of 50 MB didn't reduce as there are no tables left.
    Its surprisingly large for a few forms and very little code.
    There may be corruption. Try DECOMPILING your database. See http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacces.../Decompile.asp
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

CarlettoFed is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    The excessive file size is due to the images in the 'EmailsF' form.
    Shrinking an image as the size (height / width) of the container image control does not resize the mega size of the image.
    It is necessary to resize the image previously with a program that manages this type of file.
    Then try to delete the 'EmailsF' form and try to compact the access file to see if the problem recurs.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    CarlottoFed - thanks for that. I was worried about the use of the images (the images of the people, I store in a separate folder and use the Attachments system. The JPG files I use are only 20-100 Kb in the raw state. I do not know what Access does to them. You mention "resize the image previously with a program that manages this type of file". Do you know the name of the image management program? Thanks, Leon

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The images don't have to be embedded at all, they can be linked.
    That form is responsible for about 48Mb of disk space.

Seems to me that there are many forms which should be queries only but I can only speculate on that seeing as how the record sources don't exist.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Isladogs - Interesting that you had no problems. I did even on the reduced file that I sent you. Having said that, I checked that there were no tables in Queries that should be linked and were not linked. I did not find any, but the CaR worked properly! I will test again tomorrow. Leon

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Friends - I would like to thank you all for all the help you have been. I am sorry I took so long to catch on! But I think that all works well now!! I will start testing tomorrow to see if anything else crops up or produces an error message or does not do what I expect it to do!! Leon

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    For info, use of attachment fields increases the file size by more than the size of the file(s) attached. Sometimes far more... JPGs are particularly bad for doing that.
    Strongly recommend you get rid of all attachment fields and just store file paths / link images as suggested
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Isladogs - Thanks for that. I thought Attachments was a way to save image space !!! However, I will looking at how to link images. They are held in a separate folder already. That folder is within the Main Folder holding the db. The images are both people and icons. I can covert them to PNG if that helps. I have converted a couple of JPGs to PNG before, and the new file size is bigger than the JPG! But perhaps it is an Access thing. A bit deep for me! Leon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.