smaier is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

DCOUNT not working properly

Hello, all!

Basically I have a form that will use a DCOUNT to determine how many times an entry occurs in a query based on machine number and date. There is code that will determine what query the DCOUNT will look at to get its answer. The code is as such:

Code:
    Private Sub SearchButton_Click()

Dim DateToCheck As Date
    Dim QuerySource As String

DateToCheck = DateTextBox.Value

If MachineTextBox.Value = 1 Or MachineTextBox.Value = 2 Or MachineTextBox.Value = 3 Then
        QuerySource = "FemcoPMQuery"
        Else
        If MachineTextBox.Value = 11 Then
            QuerySource = "DoosanPMQuery"
            Else
                MsgBox "Please specify which machine to check logs for"
                Exit Sub
        End If
    End If

MsgBox "Number of dates that match: " & DCount("[ID]", QuerySource, "[PerformedOn] = #" & DateToCheck & "#")
    'MsgBox "Number of dates that match: " & DCount("[ID]", "FemcoPMQuery", "[PerformedOn] = #" & DateToCheck & "#")
    'MsgBox "Number of dates that match: " & DCount("[ID]", "DoosanPMQuery", "[PerformedOn] = #" & DateToCheck & "#")

End Sub
    I have posted the test example DB as well since I'm thinking the code isn't wrong (though I would be pleased if it were that simple).

If in the form you set the date to 6/10/2021 and the machine number to 11, DCOUNT works properly, stating there are 3 matches in the query for that machine and date. If you change the machine to 1, DCOUNT incorrectly says there are 0 matches in the query for that machine and date (there are 4 if you manually run the FemcoPMQuery and enter 1 as the machine).

Any ideas? It's probably one of those situations where I have been staring at the monitor too loong and am stuck in a loop of incorrect troubleshooting or am overlooking the obvious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The only thing I can see is that
    FemcoPMLogData has a time associated with the date =>> 6/10/2021 12:31:53 PM

DoosanPMLogData does not have a time associated with the date =>> 6/10/2021
    Even though the time is not displayed, in DoosanPMLogData the actual data in the field "PerformedOn" (type date/time) is #6/10/2021 12:00:00AM#[FONT=Calibri]

For the query,
    FemcoPMQuery, using MachineTextBox = 1 and DateTextBox = #6/10/2021#, the DCount results in 0 because there is no date/time record that is equal to #6/10/2021 12:00:00 AM#.

If you change the VBA from
    Code:
        MsgBox "Number of dates that match: " & DCount("[ID]", QuerySource, "[PerformedOn] = #" & DateToCheck & "#")
    to
    Code:
        MsgBox "Number of dates that match: " & DCount("[ID]", QuerySource, "[PerformedOn] > #" & DateToCheck & "#")
    or
    Code:
        MsgBox "Number of dates that match: " & DCount("[ID]",  QuerySource, "[PerformedOn] >= #" & DateToCheck & "#")

the DCount msgbox is "Number of dates that match: 4"

smaier is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    The only thing I can see is that
    FemcoPMLogData has a time associated with the date =>> 6/10/2021 12:31:53 PM

DoosanPMLogData does not have a time associated with the date =>> 6/10/2021
    Even though the time is not displayed, in DoosanPMLogData the actual data in the field "PerformedOn" (type date/time) is #6/10/2021 12:00:00AM#[FONT=Calibri]
    Oh my goodness, THANK YOU!!

That's one of the things I thought of when I was trying to figure it out, but when I opened the table, that field only showed the short date (I had originally started with the field being a long date, but decided to change it to short date after I had already made the other tables - there's 6 in the actual DB project. So, even though it showed the table field format as short date, and without clicking/selecting the specific record all I would see is the short date). Once I clicked on the specific record/cell, I could see the time in addition to the date. Once I deleted the times, it worked perfectly.

Thank you very much for the help. I'd been banging my head against a wall for days and had started entertaining the idea of driving up to the Golden Gate Bridge expressly for the purpose of jumping off it.

I can now proceed to enjoy the weekend. I hope you do the same!

Edit: "not proceed" to "now proceed".

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Happy to help. I only know this because I ran into the same problem many years ago.

Good luck with your project.....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.