shexe is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Access Password - Not encrypted

Is there a way to lock Access with a non-encrypted password?

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I'm not really sure exactly what you're asking, but speaking from a security standpoint, using a non-encrypted password to lock a program is pointless. After all, if anyone can get at the password, you might as well not even have one.

If you're needing to unlock a database that DOES have a password, then you're probably not going to find much help here. That's a problem for a company or security expert, not some stranger you met over the internet.

If you're needing to add a password to a database, but don't want to risk losing it (and thus access to your database), then that's something we can help you with.

I need to lock the database, however I have Excel Templates that are automated to update tables in the DB via VBA and Output reports that are connected to the DB via ODBC. The problem lies within the VBA and ODBC connections. I have included the password in both, yet the VB is encountering a runtime error and the ODBC is triggering a prompt asking for DB password. The Template and Output are both FE and users do not have the password.

I ask if a non-encrypted password can be used because that is where I see the problem.

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I doubt that's possible without giving users a password to enter every time they open the Excel spreadsheet.

The ideal solution would be to make a simple Access Frontend that they use instead of the Spreadsheet. Then you can give them limited access to the database (enough to input the data they need to and to see the Reports).

I would love to split the DB, but I can't see that being an option until 2011.

I found that the Set Database Password function will allow me to link ODBC and VB with the password, however this seems to effect Access functionality.

I locked the VBA from sight which eliminates one of my challenges. Now I just need to Hide/Remove the Data tab in Excel. I know you can change the Ribbon via VBA but after further research find that you cannot remove tabs. Protecting the workbook does not help either as the file path is still visible in the Connection String.

Are there any Excel experts out there that can help me remove/hide the data tab in a workbook?

Final solution - created a second DB to house Rate information (what I needed secured). Created queries to pull the data together. If a user does not have access to the Rate DB folder, the queries fail.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.