kliffdog is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Import into "personal account ledger" causes a glitch

Hello all and here is my problem….. I wanted to create a database to track my expenses and make a budget and all that jazz. I down loaded the “Personal Account Ledger” from MS and added a few more categories to fit my needs and imported all my account transactions for the last year into Access via Excel. After importing the data I noticed that all the data showing in the “Actual amount” column are showing green (Meaning Income) when in fact some of the transactions should be showing red and in parenthesis. (Meaning out go) as you can imagine this really messes things up and it shows that my account is in the green $52,000. I wish! (The more likely scenario is in the negative…hence the need for a budget)

I checked all my data for errors and it is all correct, so for some reason Access is changing the amounts in the “Transaction Amount” column (That are in parenthesis to reflect subtraction) into positive amounts in the “Actual Amount” column.
    My only guess is that I have done something wrong while adding categories or importing to mess up the operation of this database. I have not messed with any code or relationships and the only column/field that I have left blank is the “Entry Number” as I do not understand what it is for but I don’t believe that is the instigator as it is not a required field. (Per the properties) Do I have any takers?

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Without seeing how you're doing the actual Import, I doubt anyone here can help you much.

That said, it sounds like it might be a formatting error in the Excel spreadsheet itself. Have you tried changing the format of the fields so that, instead of putting parentheses around negative numbers, it just shows a negative sign?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.