ErinHayes is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Report does not reflect database view

I have a database that has information in accending order for three different fields. When I create a form, the information changes into a random order. How can I fix this?

evander is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    Edit the Record Source property of the form, which is a query. Set it to "Ascending."

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Evander is correct: or - let's say you have a report and a form both sourced on the same record source (query) but want them sorted differently...
    * the sort of the report will over ride the sort of the record source
    -or -
    * you can manage the sort of the form in the 'OrderBy' property of the form and that will override the sort of the query.

several ways to skin this cat.

ErinHayes is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Everything is correct in the Database. It is sorted by date in, date out and then alphabetically. When I create a report, the order switches. I admit that I am new to Access and in the learning phase. Much of the "computer" talk is foreign to me. Thank for any help.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    one can not design a database without a textbook. you can easily find an Access2010 textbook at Amazon or any big book store.

Reports have a sort feature. That is what you want to implement if I understand your post correctly. As noted in my first post - this will over ride the query/record source sorting.

Forums are great, but a textbook will save you a ton of time.

Hope this helps.

evander is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    Hi NTC!

Erin, actually the the sorting behavior of Access reports was one of my stingers in the early phases of my learning. NTC is right. A report has its own sorting behavior, so be careful.

I have received a lot of complaints from my clients why the invoices listed in monthly statement of account reports appear randomly.

Maybe we can have a blog or some special web site section about this? Like "Access stingers?" Haha.

PS: When I was a kid, I used to watch an American game show "One Million Chance in a Lifetime." That's where I got the word stinger.

"Stingers" I have come across so far are:

1. Report sorting is not the same as query sorting and form sorting.

2. Textbox names may not be the same with the data field of that textbox.

3. When you create a formula in a textbox, the "variables" inside it refer to either to a textbox name, or the data field of such textbox.

4. You can't create a =SUM(TextboxName), just =SUM(DataField). Is this true? I haven't bothered confirming this.

5. If you have a pop-up form whose properties you manipulated include border style = dialog, pop-up form = yes, modal = yes, then you've got yourself a pop-up form smaller than your fingernails. Or maybe it's just my PC creating a radical behavior.

6. There is such thing as table handles in Microsoft Access. I don't know how to "count" them.

7. Report area should be paper width minus left margin minus right margin.

8. Report footer sections are tricky. I always end up having a two-page report, with the second page being entirely blank, when in fact I should only have a single page.

9. Related to stinger number 2, a subform's name may not be the same as the name of the embedded form as seen in the database window or navigation pane.

There are a whole lot more. Can't remember them. At least I have the folks here to help me solve my stumbling blocks.

Good luck and more power.

Jan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.