Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Speedfister is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2002
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    4

    Can't get rid of a search popup in a form.

    Hello. Had to take over an ancient project at work a while ago. It's Win98 and Access '97. The guy who created it quit like 20 years ago and no one has touched the "code" since then. I've made some changes but there's a small thing I can't get rid off and it is driving me nuts:


    When opening one of the forms a search box pops up for the first field (ID). It's the standard one as if you were to go to Edit->Search.
    As I instead have made a search-combobox I want to get rid of this popup, but I can't find where it comes from? It's not in the VBA-code, not in the form properties, no macros, not in any of the actions (or what it's called in English? In the properties) of forms/textboxes.

    I don't know where else it can possible come from? Is there some kind of option somewhere or any other places I should look? Any ideas at all?



    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Bob Fitz's Avatar
    Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedfister View Post
    Hello. Had to take over an ancient project at work a while ago. It's Win98 and Access '97. The guy who created it quit like 20 years ago and no one has touched the "code" since then. I've made some changes but there's a small thing I can't get rid off and it is driving me nuts:


    When opening one of the forms a search box pops up for the first field (ID). It's the standard one as if you were to go to Edit->Search.
    As I instead have made a search-combobox I want to get rid of this popup, but I can't find where it comes from? It's not in the VBA-code, not in the form properties, no macros, not in any of the actions (or what it's called in English? In the properties) of forms/textboxes.

    I don't know where else it can possible come from? Is there some kind of option somewhere or any other places I should look? Any ideas at all?

    Thank you.
    Can you post a copy of the db with just a few dummy records
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

  3. #3
    Speedfister is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2002
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    Can you post a copy of the db with just a few dummy records
    Yes. Had to remove a lot of other forms and tables to get below 500kb, so I should mention that it's only this one that has an auto-popup. The deleted ones did not.

    Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #4
    Bob Fitz's Avatar
    Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedfister View Post
    Yes. Had to remove a lot of other forms and tables to get below 500kb, so I should mention that it's only this one that has an auto-popup. The deleted ones did not.

    Thanks.
    Perform a "Compact and Repair" on your db. Then Zip it. The db you posted can not be opened by later versions of access in its present state.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

  5. #5
    Speedfister is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2002
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    Perform a "Compact and Repair" on your db. Then Zip it. The db you posted can not be opened by later versions of access in its present state.
    Sorry. Opened it in Access 2007 and saved it again, so hopefully it'll work now. Noticed that in 2007 this search-popup has been moved from the field "id" (Löpnummer) to "year" (Anskaffningsår).
    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. #6
    Bob Fitz's Avatar
    Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    2,890
    I can't see the cause of your problem.

    To overcome it though, you could create a new form and just copy and paste all the controls and code to the new form. Then change properties to match.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

  7. #7
    Bob Fitz's Avatar
    Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    2,890
    I've found the cause of your problem.

    It's caused by the following line:
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 9, 2 'Öppnar "Sök"-rutan

    ​in the on click event of the button that opens the form.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

  8. #8
    Speedfister is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2002
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    I've found the cause of your problem.

    It's caused by the following line:
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 9, 2 'Öppnar "Sök"-rutan

    ​in the on click event of the button that opens the form.
    Wow, never crossed my mind to check the other forms... This fixed my problem so thank you very, very much!

  9. #9
    Bob Fitz's Avatar
    Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedfister View Post
    Wow, never crossed my mind to check the other forms... This fixed my problem so thank you very, very much!
    You're welcome. Always glad to help if I can
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Popup New Form
    By Ray67 in forum Forms
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM
  2. popup form
    By Cosmo Monkey in forum Forms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM
  3. Popup form
    By marcsessoms in forum Forms
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
  4. form popup
    By fabiobarreto10 in forum Forms
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 01:54 PM
  5. Popup form
    By triplee23 in forum Forms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Other Forums: Microsoft Office Forums - Senior Forums