jfg863 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Access Database Form Creating Exclusive Access to the database which I do not want

So I have an access database that is also connected to some excel to update some drop down boxes across all distributed excel forms. All of the data going into excel is read only from Access. I am able to open up and change any table in the access database without triggering any exclusive problems. However, one of my forms won't allow me to put it in design mode if even one excel file is open. The form name is "Task List" and I was wondering if someone could take a look at it and potentially figure out what could be causing it to be exclusive when one of the excel files are open. The table that is linked (as a subform) into this form is the Tasks table which I can put that in design mode without triggering any kind of exclusive problems (it's only in the form) even when the excel files are open. This will pose a great challenge when I implement this if there ever needs to be any changes to the form and I give the excel file out to hundreds of people. There are some embedded macros etc but I don't know how to change them in the form or if that is even the problem.

I have attached the excel file and the access database which both have no private data in them. To get the excel file to work you will have to fix the connections (in the crosswalks tab) to point at where ever you put the access database and also module 4 in excel vba to the path specified. However, I think it has something to do with the form on the access side I'm just not sure how to fix it.

Solved with help by Ranman256: I went ahead and split the database to have a backend and a front end and now the database does not get locked when trying to change some of the forms on the front end. Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for all of your time, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by jfg863; 11-10-2020 at 08:54 AM.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    the default access open is shared, not exclusive.
    you CANNOT edit excel if its open in Access. it will lock.
    it may also set the access to exclusive.

If your app is in use by many users, the database should be split and they should each have their own copy of the front end.
    you shouldn't be using both xl & access. put all the data in access via excel.

jfg863 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    the default access open is shared, not exclusive.
    you CANNOT edit excel if its open in Access. it will lock.
    it may also set the access to exclusive.

If your app is in use by many users, the database should be split and they should each have their own copy of the front end.
    you shouldn't be using both xl & access. put all the data in access via excel.
    There is only going to be one person using the Access side. The excel side is where everyone fills the form out and clicks submit to submit their data to the Access database. Then the one user uses that information from the Access side. All of the info comes from excel. The drop downs in excel are coming from Access though to make it where I can update the drop down boxes in all of the excel forms people have without issuing a new excel file.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.