Camões is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question User Input as part of Module Parameter

I'm new to Access so I'll try to explain the best way I can:

So I have this Query where a pop-up appears for the user to input the Year and the query displays info for all months for that year. And it's working as intended
    Code:
    SELECT Estagios.Nome, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=1 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M01, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=2 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M02, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=3 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M03, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=4 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M04, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=5 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M05, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=6 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M06, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=7 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M07, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=8 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M08, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=9 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M09, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=10 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M10, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=11 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M11, 
    (SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE Mes=12 AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] AND idEstagio=Estagios.ID) AS M12, 
    Nz((SELECT COUNT(idInterno) FROM Alocados WHERE idEstagio=Estagios.ID AND Ano=[Insira Ano:] GROUP BY idEstagio),0) AS Total
    FROM Estagios;
    But with the next Query I use a Module named "ConcatRelated" that puts in a Cell a list of names separated by ",":

Code:
    SELECT AA.ID, AA.Nome, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=1","Internos_Nome") AS M01, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=2","Internos_Nome") AS M02, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=3","Internos_Nome") AS M03, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=4","Internos_Nome") AS M04, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=5","Internos_Nome") AS M05, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=6","Internos_Nome") AS M06, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=7","Internos_Nome") AS M07, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=8","Internos_Nome") AS M08, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=9","Internos_Nome") AS M09, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=10","Internos_Nome") AS M10, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=11","Internos_Nome") AS M11, 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=2020 AND Mes=12","Internos_Nome") AS M12
    FROM Estagios AS AA;
    ConcatRelated being:

Code:
    Option Compare Database

Public Function ConcatRelated(strField As String, _
        strTable As String, _
        Optional strWhere As String, _
        Optional strOrderBy As String, _
        Optional strSeparator = ", ") As Variant
    On Error GoTo Err_Handler
        'Purpose:   Generate a concatenated string of related records.
        'Return:    String variant, or Null if no matches.
        'Arguments: strField = name of field to get results from and concatenate.
        '           strTable = name of a table or query.
        '           strWhere = WHERE clause to choose the right values.
        '           strOrderBy = ORDER BY clause, for sorting the values.
        '           strSeparator = characters to use between the concatenated values.
        'Notes:     1. Use square brackets around field/table names with spaces or odd characters.
        '           2. strField can be a Multi-valued field (A2007 and later), but strOrderBy cannot.
        '           3. Nulls are omitted, zero-length strings (ZLSs) are returned as ZLSs.
        '           4. Returning more than 255 characters to a recordset triggers this Access bug:
        '               http://allenbrowne.com/bug-16.html
        Dim rs As DAO.Recordset         'Related records
        Dim rsMV As DAO.Recordset       'Multi-valued field recordset
        Dim strSql As String            'SQL statement
        Dim strOut As String            'Output string to concatenate to.
        Dim lngLen As Long              'Length of string.
        Dim bIsMultiValue As Boolean    'Flag if strField is a multi-valued field.

'Initialize to Null
        ConcatRelated = Null

'Build SQL string, and get the records.
        strSql = "SELECT " & strField & " FROM " & strTable
        If strWhere <> vbNullString Then
            strSql = strSql & " WHERE " & strWhere
        End If
        If strOrderBy <> vbNullString Then
            strSql = strSql & " ORDER BY " & strOrderBy
        End If
        Set rs = DBEngine(0)(0).OpenRecordset(strSql, dbOpenDynaset)
        'Determine if the requested field is multi-valued (Type is above 100.)
        bIsMultiValue = (rs(0).Type > 100)

'Loop through the matching records
        Do While Not rs.EOF
            If bIsMultiValue Then
                'For multi-valued field, loop through the values
                Set rsMV = rs(0).Value
                Do While Not rsMV.EOF
                    If Not IsNull(rsMV(0)) Then
                        strOut = strOut & rsMV(0) & strSeparator
                    End If
                    rsMV.MoveNext
                Loop
                Set rsMV = Nothing
            ElseIf Not IsNull(rs(0)) Then
                strOut = strOut & rs(0) & strSeparator
            End If
            rs.MoveNext
        Loop
        rs.Close

'Return the string without the trailing separator.
        lngLen = Len(strOut) - Len(strSeparator)
        If lngLen > 0 Then
            ConcatRelated = Left(strOut, lngLen)
        End If

Exit_Handler:
        'Clean up
        Set rsMV = Nothing
        Set rs = Nothing
        Exit Function

Err_Handler:
        MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description, vbExclamation, "ConcatRelated()"
        Resume Exit_Handler
    End Function
    The problem arrises when I susbtitute "Ano=2020" on the second Query for "Ano=[Insert Year:]" that results in a Error PopUp saying:
    Error 3061 : Too few parameters. Expected 1.

I think that the problem is that a user input can't be on a parameter for a module, so now I need to know the best option:
    Is there any way to change the ConcatRelated Module to work with the change above, do I need to make subqueries and pass them as the parameter.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Instead of "Ano=2020", just use "2020"

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you can try

ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstag io = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=" & [Insert Year:] & " AND Mes=1","Internos_Nome") AS M01,

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think the function requires a where clause without the "where" so just a number shouldn't work, and I don't think the user wants a prompt for every query execution, but I could be wrong.
    If those answers don't help, what's the data type of the year - string, date or number? AFAIK, the sql interpreter (query side of Access) isn't so fussy about recognizable data types and it does make assumptions. However, you don't have that luxury when running sql from code, so I'm thinking that 2020 may need delimiters.

EDIT - I just realized this is outside of the quotes for a portion of the WHERE clause - " & AA.ID & "
    Now I think that is what the DAO recordset is not able to interpret and is asking you for a parameter. If that's the case, you'll probably have to modify the function code to declare and define a query def object and declare and define any parameters.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Camões is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    you can try

ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstag io = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=" & [Insert Year:] & " AND Mes=1","Internos_Nome") AS M01,
    Thank you, ended up doing something similar:
    Code:
    SELECT AA.ID, AA.Nome, [Insira Ano:] AS [Year], 
    ConcatRelated("Internos_Nome","qAlocados","IdEstagio = " & AA.ID & " AND Ano=" & Year & " AND Mes=1","Internos_Nome") AS M01,
    with the use of the extra column I can create a TextBox in the report and define it as : =[Report]![ReportName]![Insira Ano:]; to display the Year in the report.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    that's fine - just be aware that Year is a reserved word. Using it as a field or control name can cause inexplicable errors. At the very least, surround with square brackets.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.