Bmauffray is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2002

Problem adding field to exiting linked table in Access 2000

I am updating an access database that I designed years ago originally in Access 2.0 later transfered to 97 then to 2000. It works perfectly for what I designed it for: database for the dragonfly collection at the Florida State Collection of Arthropods in Gainesville, Florida. I would like to add an new field to my main "table" but get an error that says you "can not modify a linked table." So I did some research a learned how to unlink my table (which is on the same computer as the front-end program. After deleting the link as instructed, i was able to add the new field to the back-end table and save it. I re-linked it to the front end, but my new field does not display. I have "refreshed," deleted and relinked but no gecko. Can anyone help. [both back end and front end or in .mbd format and there are just shy of 90K records]

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I have never had a problem adding field to backend table even while link is in place. I just did a test to reconfirm. However, I am using Access2010 and therefore accdb files.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    You cannot directly edit a linked backend table from the frontend database. However it is possible to do so using code

OR you can edit a backend table directly by opening the backend file. You will need to refresh the link to the table in the frontend afterwards
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2002
    I deleted the link on the front end and edited the backend, checked it to make sure the change took place. Relinked, refreshed, and still no edited table on the front end. rechecked the back end and change I made was still there.

June7 is online now VIP
    That's what i did. Open backend, add field. Go back to frontend, open linked table and field displays, no link "Refresh" needed.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2002
    well, it worked by only going to the backend and editing it. I didi not have to unlink and relink, like "June7" did with his Access 2010.. thank you guys

June7 is online now VIP
    And I had assumed that was what you originally attempted. Good insight by Colin to determine you had not.

Just glad you got it working.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.