phil210293 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Creating a multi-select list similar to the wizard field selection

I am creating a database that tracks inspections of assets and logs the findings from the inspections. I have a table of assets, a table of inspections, and a table of defects. An inspection can note multiple defects, and a defect can be present across multiple inspections of an asset, so they have a many-to-many relationship through a join table.

I would like to create some sort of pop up form when logging a new inspection that allows defects noted on the previous inspection of an asset to also be associated with the new inspection; the most appropriate format for this would be something very similar in appearance to the creation wizard in access, where there is a list of defects from the previous inspection on the left, and buttons to move them over to a list on the right, whereupon a record would be created in the join table associating the InspectionID with the DefectID. There will be an additional button to create a new defect log if anything new is noted during an inspection.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am very new to Access and probably trying to run before I can walk, but currently I am handling the creation of inspection reports manually in Word, which is extremely time consuming, and the sooner I can migrate my work to a database the better.

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I think what you're looking for is commonly refered to as a Pick List.
    Try googling that and I'll look around for an example.

edit: Here's a file with a few listbox examples. The picklists use a double click to select items but you can modify that to use command buttons if you like.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Multi select listbox requires programming.
    but if you use a temp table with a checkbox field so the user can mark the items,then you only need to use queries.

phil210293 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by moke123 View Post
    I think what you're looking for is commonly refered to as a Pick List.
    Try googling that and I'll look around for an example.

edit: Here's a file with a few listbox examples. The picklists use a double click to select items but you can modify that to use command buttons if you like.

Thank you moke123, that looks exactly like what I need!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.