jlmnjem is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

Linking tables

I manage 20 facilities for a non-profit agency. I want a database that tracks a variety of information for the facilities, so I want different and various tables for each kind of data (supervisors of each facility, utility providers of each facility, fire equipment located at each facility, etc.) I have a table that contains the cost center code (a unique number field), which is my primary index, and the facility description (a unique alpha field.) I want all of the other tables to contain these two fields, and if a change is made to a record in either of these fields in the main table, I would like that change to be reflected in the other tables. I have tried linking them in the relationships window, but that doesn't yield the desired effect. How do I do this?

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmnjem View Post
    ... I have a table that contains the cost center code (a unique number field), which is my primary index, and the facility description (a unique alpha field.) I want all of the other tables to contain these two fields, and if a change is made to a record in either of these fields in the main table, I would like that change to be reflected in the other tables.
    This is not really the correct way to handle this.

You really should use a n auto number as the primary key file in all tables and use this primary key to create the relationships.

The cost center code is an indexed field that can be set to no duplicates. It will appear to the end user as the primary key but in reality it isn't.

When you need the cost center code it is looked up using the relationships.

Same for the facility description.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.