Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    johnpaul is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003

Form Help

Hi,

I am having problems with crating a form.

I have a DB with 5 tables - EmpInfo, Discipline, Other Achievements, Performance, Storeinfo

I have created a from to allow me to enter employees into the DB into table EmpInfo.

Now that I ahve all my employees in the DB with their details I want to crate a form so I can enter the discipline into the DB.

How do I create a form that will look up the employee name from Table EmpInfo and allow me to enter info in the dtails part of the discipline table.

I have used the wizzard to get the 3 parts of the disicpline sheet I wish to enter info in but I have to link it to a employee at the moment both table are using my employee numbers as PK's

please can anyone help

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
    ...at the moment both table are using my employee numbers as PK's
    This sounds like a design issue at the moment. PK's are used in other tables as ForeignKeys (FK's).

Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    This sounds like a design issue at the moment. PK's are used in other tables as ForeignKeys (FK's).
    Can you tell me how to set FK's?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    There is nothing very special about FK's. Assuming an AutoNumber is a PK in a table then that same value in another table field that is a LongInteger type will make it a ForeignKey. The secret is defining the Relationships of the two tables. Using the method I just described, the Relationship wizard can determine and set up the relationship for you.

There is nothing very special about FK's. Assuming an AutoNumber is a PK in a table then that same value in another table field that is a LongInteger type will make it a ForeignKey. The secret is defining the Relationships of the two tables. Using the method I just described, the Relationship wizard can determine and set up the relationship for you.
    Unfortunatly my employee numbers are not Autonumber as these are pre-determined by someone else, so I have them in as Number (Long Integer) on my empinfo table.

In my discipline table I have Employee number (Number, Long Integer),
    Date, Details, Issued By.

Would I need to create another input in dicsipline and have it has a Autonumber to work?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpaul View Post
    Would I need to create another input in dicsipline and have it has a Autonumber to work?
    The simple answer is no. Also a rule of thumb is: If you will not be performing math on the number than it should probably be a Text field. In this case I think I would leave it as a LongInteger because Keys work better when they are numbers since they need to be indexed.

The simple answer is no. Also a rule of thumb is: If you will not be performing math on the number than it should probably be a Text field. In this case I think I would leave it as a LongInteger because Keys work better when they are numbers since they need to be indexed.
    I think I understand, I have have somehow managed to get a form working how I want.

What I have done is change the employee number in the discipline from PK and made the date field in the discipline table the PK.
    now in relationships I have linked the emp no from empInfo table with the emp no in discipline table it now seams to work.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    A good style in design is to name fields with the same value the same name. It makes it easier to understand. It is also a good idea to start forcing yourself to stop using embedded spaces in a name. I use CamelFontNames myself but Under_Score_Names is also very acceptable. I see no reason to use your date field in the disipline table as a primary key. What is wrong with using an AutoNumber field for that? Are you trying to save disk space?

A good style in design is to name fields with the same value the same name. It makes it easier to understand. It is also a good idea to start forcing yourself to stop using embedded spaces in a name. I use CamelFontNames myself but Under_Score_Names is also very acceptable. I see no reason to use your date field in the disipline table as a primary key. What is wrong with using an AutoNumber field for that? Are you trying to save disk space?
    I dont have any Autonumber fields in my discipline table, only EmpNumber - Date-Details-LogedBy

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I may have lost track of what is going on. Are you not allowed to modify the table structure in this system?

I may have lost track of what is going on. Are you not allowed to modify the table structure in this system?
    Yes I can Modify

I am currently creating the DB it's the first I have ever done so Kinda going in blind to a degre

Windows 7 Access 2007
    As you have probably already noticed, Access wants to create an AutoNumber field as the PrimaryKey field of all of the tables it creates. This is not a bad thing. Often these PrimaryKeys come in handy later on in the design. It simply allows you to absolute3ly identify a particular record in the table. Using an existing field (such as your date field example) is called a "natural" key and can also work. A date field is a special "double floating point" field and gets handled differently than a simple LongInteger field like an AutoNumber. I'm really anal and dogmatic with this stuff, sorry.

As you have probably already noticed, Access wants to create an AutoNumber field as the PrimaryKey field of all of the tables it creates. This is not a bad thing. Often these PrimaryKeys come in handy later on in the design. It simply allows you to absolute3ly identify a particular record in the table. Using an existing field (such as your date field example) is called a "natural" key and can also work. A date field is a special "double floating point" field and gets handled differently than a simple LongInteger field like an AutoNumber. I'm really anal and dogmatic with this stuff, sorry.
    OK, So would it be a good idea to create a field on every tabe called ref and have this as a AutoNumber?

or should I just leave my Date field as the PK?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    The AutoNumber field in each table should have a unique name appropriate for that table. I would create a new field in the Discipline table called maybe DisciplineID and make it an AutoNumber field. Of course that is just me.

The AutoNumber field in each table should have a unique name appropriate for that table. I would create a new field in the Discipline table called maybe DisciplineID and make it an AutoNumber field. Of course that is just me.
    Thank you for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.