Sightly is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Updating a record when one has already been made today vs creating a new record

Hi everyone, I have two tables one with information on the equipment we have and another that is pretty much a daily checklist for the equipment. I have a form to enter information into the daily checklist and am using a ComboBox Connected with my equipment table to be able to pull serial numbers and test info for the machines. I want to make one record each day for each piece of equipment, but the checks are done in the morning and afternoon so I was wondering if it was possible to search the daily checklist table and see if there was a already a record with that serial id number and the current date and if so have the form be able to update that record but if not then to create a new record instead. I am relatively new to access so this may seem like a bad approach and if that’s the case any info on a better way to approach this problem would be appreciated !

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Certainly can. Use VBA and do a DLookup() or DCount().

Also, set compound index on ID and date fields and duplicate pairs will not be allowed.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.