thedoc44 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

scanned signature(s) on a report

How can multiple scanned signatures (in any format) be imbedded in a table of providers so that they can be printed in a report? I've tried pasting the files in the table and using "image" and "attachment" boxes and every other thing I can think of. I'm trying to port over an older app to Access '07....it's daunting!

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    have you tried using the "OLE object field type?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Hi Adam. Thanks for the response. Yes I did try the OLE link as well. In the earlier version of Access you only had to "drop" the graphic in the Table cell where it was defined by the column heading. I have no clue why it's so stubborn in this version of Access. I've tried .bmp and .jpg file formats, too. All I get on printing is two obscure symbols or a blank field!

Any other ideas/suggestions????

you know,

a better way than table storage is just to put a picture frame control on your reports than need signatures. Then whenever the report is opened (or rather before), dynamically change the picture path. Make sure the frame type is LINKED because it defaults to EMBEDDED which you obviously can't change in code.

Instead of taking up db space in the table, use that one line of code and take up folder space on the local drive to store every signature image pertaining to your db users.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    We print 50 to 100 patient HCFA-1500's at a run. How would the code be automated locate and "place" whatever signature is required on each "report" in realtime printing?

how have you printed them in the past? can you print reports for every record in a table with one print command? wow...I didn't know that.

if that's what you're doing, using code is not a good idea. that's getting you too close to corruption possibilities.

you know I don't work with OLEs often, and I just check out some things with it. Doesn't look like it cooperates very well with images. I'm not really sure how to help. One option, assuming that you can do what I asked about above, is to put an image control on the report, size it to that of the signature images and link it to one folder in windows where all of the doctors' sig images are. I'm not sure (I'm assume you can), but try and put something to the effect of:
    Code:
    "c:\images\" & [DoctorName] & ".jpg"
    in for the image path. That assumes you are naming jpg picture files as each doctor's name and that there is a textbox in the records that is named "DoctorName".

Access allows this in almost all other properties, so I don't see how it could be a problem here. If you do try this, make sure you view the report to see if the images are actually different because the link will be different for every record. Alternatively, if you're seeing linked or embedded images in the report in an image control, and you're sure the path is correct, corruption is a possibility I suppose.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    In the original app (Access 1.0 in use 'till our 486 died) I just had a table with each provider's data (name, degree/license, billing rates, insurance provider numbers, etc., and a field for the scanned bmp converted signature). Then as each HCFA or private biling form was printed, a query drove the report that pulled data from insurance company, client, and provider data, etc., to combine in realtime printing. That's why a field in the provider table seemed the most straight forward way to go. Just looks like Access 12.0 (2007) is just much less user friendly for a more sophisticated app.

IMO, truth be known that Microsoft products are great for beginners and non-advanced situations. However, they usually need additional help for more complex data structures. Well....good luck with it!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.