tri.stand is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Display a Due date based on other tables

Hi All,

I have two tables; Tasks and Maintenance Log.

The user uses the Maintenance Log to input the Task completed (which i looked up from the Task table) and then inputs the person who completed it and also the date it was done.

I would like to run another table(?) which looks at the newest record for completed task (example) "Clean Floor" and then displays a Next Due date based on the last date completed plus the Interval time for that task also in the Tasks Table (Eg, 2; this would mean weeks).

I'm hoping to then run a popup once all complete that shows any "Task Due" within a week or days of the due date upon opening.

Is this possible? Also possible within Access itself as I have no clue how to use the coding side or macros

Thank You for any help

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If you have people/employees that do tasks that are repeated at some known frequency, then you probably need more than 2 tables.

tblPeople
    tblTask
    tblAssignedTask

in tblTask you may have info like
    TaskName
    TaskFrequency
    TaskDescription

in
    tblAssignedTask
    AssignedTaskID PK
    PersonID (FK to tblPeople)
    TaskID (FK to tblTask)
    AssignmentDate
    AssignmentStatus (assigned, completed...)

Just some ideas for consideration. Good luck.

tri.stand is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've attached what I have at the moment. I'm not sure its completely right, but with limited knowledge I've been trying to figure it out my self.

I have attached what I have come up with so far. I have deleted a few tables due to file size. but the basics are there.

I think I am on the right path?
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Hmmm???
    You have a few hidden entities that should be explicitly identified in my view.
    TaskType, TaskArea, Machine...

For ease of maintenance and frustration you should not name field or any objects with embedded spaces in the name. You should also avoid special characters such as "()" in names. Better to use Underscore "_" .
    Each table should represent a single thing/entity. Your Task table includes the concepts of Type and Area.

Consider user "Smokey Butts" is assigned the TaskType "Grease" the "Top Table" in the "Forming Station" TaskArea. It isn't clear from the info just what a Machine is --perhaps these have local names in your environment. It will help you with your design if you start with a description of the things and processes that you are trying to support with this database.

I recommend you identify each of the things in your "business" and attempt to normalize the proposed database. If you spend about 45 minutes working though 1 or 2 of the tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary mentioned in this link. You will experience a process that will teach you about database design that can be used with any database.
    If you also look at the "stump the model" link in that referenced material, you can test your design before getting too deep into physical database. In effect, you will have a "blueprint" for your design.

Getting you tables and relationships designed and tested with some data from your environment on paper will be useful before jumping to physical Access.

There are many articles/tutorials related to Database Planning and Design in the link I provided above.

The TaskTypes I see in your database are:
    type
    Clean
    Debris Check
    Grease
    Grease Check
    Oil
    Oil Check

The Areas are:

area
    Chains
    Cutter Station
    Forming Station
    Heaters
    Hole Punch Station
    Other
    Reel Stand
    Scrap Station
    Stacker Station
    Vacuum Pumps

Good luck with your project.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Also note that "TYPE" is a reserved word in Access and shouldn't be used for object names. Plus it is not very descriptive - "TYPE" of What??

You should not use "Look Up FIELDS" (different that look up tables) in your table designs. See The Evils of Lookup Fields

CarlettoFed is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    To be able to help you correctly, you must attach a file with all the tables.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.