Roberta is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

duplicates

My table has some duplicate fields. I've been using the wizard (duplicate query) but it doesn't seem to work. When I hit run, the records displayed are 12 (there are 6 unique records - they're doubled after i use the wizard.

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    6 unique records, every have a duplicate one, that is 6 *2 =12.

it seems just right, what is wrong? or what do you want?

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    The Duplicates Wizard is showing you every Record that has a duplicate and, since both copies of each duplicate are duplicates of each other, both show up (I hope that actually made sense!).

What you should be able to do once you see the Duplicates is to just remove ONE of them. Then, when you run the Query again, both duplicates will disappear.

On a related note: Before deleting data like this ALWAY make a copy of your Table(s)

Roberta is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

duplicate

The answer is supposed to be 6 queries - the unique ones. I can't eliminate the doubles. The question states that I list full staff details for all duplicated NI numbers

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Not sure what you want.

oldman is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    If you want to remove duplicate records, go to a new table made from the old table. At first you can simply use a "make table" query to create the new table with all fields carried over. It sounds simple and really is that simple.
    Once you have that new table empty it of all content.
    Now design your new table and make the field that should provide a unique record a "KEY" field. That means it will not allow any duplicates in the field.
    Now change your make table query into an "append query". Append your records to the very same table.
    When you run the append query you will get an error message that says that it could not append those 6 duplicate records. The new table will only contain the unique records.
    If I have multiple things that are all involved in determining a duplicate, for example same item ID, same date, same price and whatever else. I create a combo field that contains all of the things that would need to not match to make a record a duplicate. Same ID and different date is OK in this case. The thing I make a "key" in the new table is the field I call combo. That way I don't filter out things that are not really duplicates.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.