virgilio is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Return the results of a SQL query in textbox

I'm trying to display all of the results of a query in a textbox on my form. The form that this query is happening on is based on a different table than the data that I'm displaying, so I think I need to run a SQL query.

The previous maintainer of this DB used the following SQL string to make the query:

Code:
    Source = "SELECT DATE_ENTERED, USER_ID, COMMENT_STR FROM LOT_COMMENTS WHERE LOT_NUMBER = '" & LOT_NUMBER & "' ORDER BY DATE_ENTERED DESC;"
    The table that is being queried, LOT_COMMENTS, is organized like this:
    Code:
    Table LOT_COMMENTS =
    record_id | LOT_NUMBER | USER_ID | LOT_COMMENTS  | DATE_ENTERED
    550         | 66666666   | 109     | First Comment    | 12/14/2019
    551         | 66666666   | 210     | Second Comment| 12/14/2019
    552         | 66666666   | 311     | Third Comment   | 12/14/2019
    and the results are something like:
    Code:
    12/14/2019 109 First Comment
    12/14/2019 210 Second comment
    12/14/2019 311 Third comment
    I have tried putting the SQL string into a function:

Code:
    function getComments()
       dim Source as string
       Source = "SELECT DATE_ENTERED, USER_ID, COMMENT_STR FROM LOT_COMMENTS WHERE LOT_NUMBER = '" & LOT_NUMBER & "' ORDER BY DATE_ENTERED DESC;"Source = "SELECT DATE_ENTERED, USER_ID, COMMENT_STR FROM LOT_COMMENTS WHERE LOT_NUMBER = '" & LOT_NUMBER & "' ORDER BY DATE_ENTERED DESC;"

getComments = Source
       end function
    but VBA doesn't like this, when I use the function as the data source(ie, Control Source =getComments() ), I get the full SQL string in the comments instead of the desired return value.

What am I missing?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The SQL statement is just a string, it is not data. SQL statement must be used to open a recordset object or as form/report RecordSource or combo/list box RowSource.

So your options are:

1. subform

2. listbox or combobox

3. VBA that loops through Recordset and builds a string from data and populates textbox with that string

Looks like you duplicated the Source = … line in posted code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    woops that duplicate was a typo.

I'm pretty sure that I can generate a subform that does this in no time, but what would the VBA look like?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Create a subform with VBA? I would not do that.

Create a form with design tools.

Do these two sets of data have a relationship?

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Main form source must have fields User_ID and Lot_Number (or at least User_ID, and an unbound control which determines lot number).

Then you create a form with your comments query as source, activate your main query in design mode, and drag comments form into main form. This creates a subform control in your main form. In subfrom properties, LinkMasterFields property must be like 'USER_ID;LOT_NUMBER' or 'USER_ID;LotNumberControl' , LinkChildFields property must be like 'USER_ID;LOT_NUMBER'. Links may be created automatically - when not, then set them manually.

In case you have for any combination of USER_ID and LOT_NUMBER maximally a single comment only, then you may consider to base your main table on left join query instead, like
    Code:
    SELECT ymt.SomeField1, ymt.SomeField2,...,ct.Comment FROM YourMainTable ymt LEFT JOIN CommentsTable ct ON ct.USER_ID = ymt.SER_ID AND ct.LOT_NUMBER = ymt.LOT_NUMBER
    Now you don't need subform. But you have to check, is the query editable or not - I can't say it on fly.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you all for your help, I went with a combobox in a subform because it was the easiest for me to implement. I'll revisit this thread later when I improve this app if I need help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.