JRodko is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Change Listbox Separating Character

I have a listbox in a form that is doing nearly exactly what I want it to do. When I click into the datasheet style field I can select whatever options I want from a linked lookup table and they are being stored properly in the forms record source. Is there any way to change the separating character from a "," to a ";"?

For example when my list box shows up I can select from the colours, I choose "Red", "Green", "Blue".

When I go to the table where form data is stored that field is displayed as "Red, Green, Blue" which is mostly correct. Is there any way to change this to "Red;Green;Blue"?

This is because I often export as CSV so obviously having a comma in there will ruin those exports.

Thanks!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You are using a multi-value field? No, cannot change separator. A multi-value field really just stores pointers to records of a hidden dependent table. Access controls this, you cannot change how Access manages this link.

I NEVER use multi-value field.

Have you tried exporting this field type?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi June7,

It exports fine to .xlsx, CSV exports will be a mess. I don't think the table field is a multi-value field? I can't find anything in the properties sheet that says that it is, just a regular old short text field.

June7 is online now VIP
    If it is multi-value the field will be formatted in table with a combobox (or I suppose a listbox but usually combobox) and AllowMultipleValues will be set to Yes.

If not, then there must be some code that is concatenating selected values into a CSV string and that code can use whatever separator you want.

I just tested a normal listbox on form with AllowMultipleSelect set to Yes but not associated with a multi-value field and it does not allow multiple selection in Datasheet view.

I think you have a multi-value field.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It appears that you are correct. How do you suggest I re-create this without a multi value field but one that concatenates from a set of options?

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Im assuming your using a multi-select listbox. I use the function below with multi-select list boxes. One of the arguments sets the seperator character in the string. You would call it with something like
    Code:
    X = getLBX(Me.MyListBoxName,1,";")

Code:
    Public Function getLBX(lbx As ListBox, Optional intColumn As Variant = 0, Optional Seperator As String = ",", _
                           Optional Delim As Variant = Null) As String

'Iterates thru the multiselect listbox and constructs an array of the selected items
    'Arguments:
    'Lbx is Listbox Object ie.Me.MyListbox
    'intColumn is the column # to be returned
    'Seperator is the character seperating items in array returned
    'Delim is optional delimiter to be return in array ie. #1/1/2001#,#12/25/2015#

Dim strList As String
        Dim varSelected As Variant

'On Error GoTo getLBX_Error

If lbx.ItemsSelected.Count = 0 Then
            'MsgBox "Nothing selected"
        Else

For Each varSelected In lbx.ItemsSelected

If Nz(lbx.Column(intColumn, (varSelected)), "") <> "" Then

strList = strList & Delim & lbx.Column(intColumn, (varSelected)) & Delim & Seperator

Else

strList = strList

End If

Next varSelected

If Nz(strList, "") <> "" Then

strList = Left$(strList, Len(strList) - 1)  'remove trailing comma

End If
        End If

getLBX = strList

On Error GoTo 0
        Exit Function

getLBX_Error:

MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure getLBX of Module modLBX"

End Function

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you moke123. I think that is a little bit beyond me. I will try to make this work.

The data needs to be stored in 'Header! Probe_Serial' and the listbox is from another table named 'LKT_Probes! strProbes'

I will have to try to implement this. I can create public functions etc. but the syntax of making this work eludes me.

Cheers.

orange is online now Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Suggest you post a copy of your database (zip format) so readers can "see" what you are dealing with.
    We just need enough records to showcase the issue you are having.

June7 is online now VIP
    You won't be able to use a Datasheet form. Use Continuous form.

You will likely have to delete the multi-value field and create a new text field. Then use code suggested by moke to save CSV string into this field.

Is 'Header! Probe_Serial' name of this field?

Okay, driving me nuts - correct spelling is 'separator'
    Last edited by June7; 09-17-2019 at 02:12 PM.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Okay, driving me nuts - correct spelling is 'separator'
    No spell check in the vbe and it's not something option explicit catches.
    At least now I know how to push your buttons

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm going to have to put more time into how I want to solve this. I generally use datasheet forms but for this situation I may need to have a separate continuous form or convert to continuous form.

Thanks for the input. I will respond with further questions or with my solution.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I am marking this thread as solved for my purposes. I ended up coming to the conclusion that the juice is not worth the squeeze. My total possible number of selections is actually fairly few (less than 10 combinations) so I have manually created them in my lookup table, and I have changed my listbox to a single select combo box.

My solution is a little bit bush league but it also simplifies things and works well enough.

Thanks!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.