mp3909 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Microsoft Access Program shuts down

Hi,

Someone created this access database.
    It opens fine on someone else's machine but not on my computer.
    When I try to open it, it gives a pop up window saying "Microsoft Access has stopped working. Windows can try to recover your information. Close the program".

Has anyone experienced this issue and know how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance!

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it may be there are security measures in place created by the developer to prevent illegal copying of the db

it may be the app needs something (a file, dll or similar) which is on the other machine but not yours

it may be you are running a different version of access and the app has only been designed to work with a specific version

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    it may be there are security measures in place created by the developer to prevent illegal copying of the db -----------> I checked the VBA code on a computer that does allow the program to open successfully and didn't see anything that prevents it from opening based on user credentials.

it may be the app needs something (a file, dll or similar) which is on the other machine but not yours ------------> how can I test/figure out this>?

it may be you are running a different version of access and the app has only been designed to work with a specific version
    ----------------> the computers that does allow the program to open has the same office version as mine. So not sure....

how can I test/figure out this>?
    in the vba window, go to tools>references - are there any missing?
    whilst in the editor, ensure all modules have Option Explicit just below the Option Compare Database line and then compile the code Debug>Compile. Fix any errors reported and recompile. Then compact/repair

the computers that does allow the program to open has the same office version as mine. So not sure....
    Are you both running the same 'bit' of Office - 32bit or 64bit? in Access go to File>Help, then look in the About Microsoft Access section

Other thing is the file might be corrupted (sometimes the copy/paste is not 100%) so take another copy. You haven't said, but ensure file is on your C drive.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The problem is that I can't even get to the VBA editor window. As soon as I open the file, it says "Microsoft Access has stopped working".
    So checking for missing references is a road I can't go down.

I check the office - everyone has 32 bit.

Really still do not understand the issue..

sounds to me like the file is corrupted - take another copy as previously advised

you can try opening the file whilst holding down the shift key which will disable any code intended to run on startup. If that doesn't work, the file is definitely corrupted

I presume your file is a .accdb, not .accde?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    For some strange reason, it is now opening successfully.
    All I did was moved the file to my desktop and it works.
    I then moved the file back to the folder it was originally at and it works there too.
    Very strange indeed.
    Yes, it is an accdb file.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.