rplum is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 32bit

Input prompt values stored into a table.

Hello!

Not sure if the correct section, please move if not.

At my workplace we currently have a database file that is has a single button on a form, when you click the button it pops up with a prompt asking for the SKU number, at this point you scan the barcode on a box and it fetches the data (SKU number, location, description, pack size etc) from a linked table and prints the data onto a label which is then placed onto the box.

What I am trying to accomplish (if possible) is after you scan the barcode of the box that the details (SKU number, location, description, pack size) are stored in a separate local table so we can run a report on what items were scanned, how many times, dates of the scans so we can track how many times an item shows up because it was damaged.

I have tried a couple things with macros but nothing has worked so far. I know you can create a form and have it insert the record into the table but it won't work for this purpose. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Well, if the code can print a label, it can certainly append that same data (perhaps adding a field for date/time) to a table, with no additional form required. Probably not with a macro, though. VBA required.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I know you can create a form and have it insert the record into the table but it won't work for this purpose.
    You know this how? I cannot see why, especially when you already have a form that you start this process with.
    it fetches the data (SKU number, location, description, pack size etc) from a linked table
    This data is read only? Then yes, you would need a local table but typically you would not repeat all the data. Local would have the primary key value from the linked and you would ony add the fields that are not already in the linked table - such as scan date. The process that handles the label print could also write to the local table.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

rplum is offline Novice
    Ugh, was hoping to be able to do it internally in the database and not to have to go down the VBA road as I don't know the coding. Thanks for the reply.

rplum is offline Novice
    I have built forms previously that allow user input and it writes the inputted data into a local table.

Yes the data is read only. The process that handles the print is a macro.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	38977
    When I click the button in the database this is the input box that pops up. We scan the barcode then the label prints.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	report.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	38978

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.