Nanuaraq is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit

How to generate rich text in a query response

I have a query where a field is generated on basis of other fields. This query is used by caseworkers to do some calculations. The output is a text with useful directions for the caseworker.

To lookup the case, I have a form where the case worker do a search by casenumber and get the corresponding case, with the calculations, presented on the screen.

My caseworkers now ask me if the output text can be formatted. That will make it easier for them to identify their next step. Such as green for "go ahead with this one" and red for "stop, you need to see the boss about this".

I am using simple IIf statements to do the calculations, and they return text formatted as simple text. Would it be possible for an IIf statement to return formatted text?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    first, richtext will not work in a query, only a form or report where the control is set to rich text. However it should be possible to add the formatting codes as part of your iif statement. See this link which shows what the code looks like for different formatting (colour, bold etc) http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=290820

alternatively if the formatting applies to the whole field, you can use conditional formatting

Nanuaraq is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    first, richtext will not work in a query, only a form or report where the control is set to rich text. However it should be possible to add the formatting codes as part of your iif statement. See this link which shows what the code looks like for different formatting (colour, bold etc) www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=290820

alternatively if the formatting applies to the whole field, you can use conditional formatting
    I used the query to extract the needed formatting code, as explained in the link you provided.
    However, as you say it should be possible to add formatting codes to the IIf statement. But I can't seem to get it to work.
    For starters, I made an IIf statement like this:
    text: IIf(2=2;<strong>"truth"</strong>;0)
    But that's a syntax error.

Then I tried:
    text: IIf(2=2;"<strong>truth</strong>";0)
    But that returns exactly this, in text format: "<strong>truth</strong>"

So how may I add the formatting code to the IIf statement?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    check the string again - did you include the div codes? and the control you have assigned the field to in your form/report is set to rich text?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.