mrb398 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Missing Tables?

I have been given the source code to my companies internal system. The database is powered by access.

Once access file is almost 100MB, but when I open it, all I see is a single table with maybe 25 fields, and only 3 records.

I am also using Access 2007, and I'm not famillier with it.

If the file is 100MB, isn't that an indication there is more than 1 table with 3 records?

The original programmer is gone and I can't ask him any questions about it.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    The size may not be related to the table or the data in the table. Are there any objects (forms, reports etc.) in the database? If during use, various objects are opened and then saved, the size of the database may grow. It is generally a good idea to run the compact and repair utility in Access on a regular basis; this will bring the size down. If the database is on a network drive, I would recommend bringing the file onto your local hard drive, run the compact/repair utility and then put the file back on the network drive (compacting and repairing over a network, might corrupt the file).

There may be hidden tables, to see if there are, go to tools-->options-->view and make sure the hidden property is checked. (These directions are for Access 2000-2003, for Access 2007, I'm not sure where it is but I think it may be accessed using the windows button in the upper left corner of the window). Once you check the hidden property, if there are hidden tables they will show up in the tables section with a lighter colored table icon next to the table name (again Access 2000-2003).

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    run the compact and repair and see if it drops the size down to something you'd expect.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.