Robert W is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Max Report Size

Hi,

I am trying to create a report that is a certification form for a governemt agency. It is based on a parametric query that prompts the user for a facility name. The problem I am having is that there is more information for the report than there is space available. I can only "stretch" the grid background so far down, and it's not big enough. I thought of using Form rather than Report, but I have the same problem.

I am at best an intermediate Access user, so I may be missing something very simple. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    there is a property for a control (textbox, memo) that is Can Grow. this property also exists for the section of the report.

if they are yes - you should not have to physically expand the report in design view. it will expand as needed to accommodate the data. try that and see if it works.

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you need to fit all thing in one page, you can choose:
    1 smaller fonts
    2 bigger size paper
    3 more intensive items

if still over size, you have to use multiple pages.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the Can Grow property for the detail section of the report and it still will not expand at the bottom. It is a three page report, but I can't get any more pages. The report I am working on displays multiple fields for a single record intermingled with "labels" that I use to create the language that appears on the form.

I know I'm probably displaying my ignorance of Access, but I have done everything I can think of to get more pages. To be clear, I have created a report with just one big Detail section - no headers of footers - and it works exactly like I want it to, except I am limited on the "long" dimension in design view.

I have a database with multiple customers and associated fields. There is a government form that all these customers need to fill out and send to the appropriate gov't agency. I have all the data a customer needs in the database, so all I need to do is create a report for a single customer, create a pdf version, and send it to the customer to sign it and send it in. It's not a huge amount of data (assorted fields and text), but I do need more than three pages, which I can't seem to get.

Is there a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks again for your replies.

Robert

Is there another way

If I am understanding you correctly, your issue is not in fact the Report size, but the size of the design window.

Assuming this to be correct. What you could do is, lay out a control, format it how you think it will appear then set it's individual property to 'can grow', then minimise this down as small as you can..and I mean small some of my controls are just lines. On print preview the controls will grow to the required size if they contain data. The disadvantage of this approach is the controls won't expand if they contain no data. There is a way around this as well, but requires VBA to acheive.

HTH

Windows XP Access 2007
    Dynamictiger,

Thanks. I think you are exactly right. My problem is not report size, but the size of the design window. I will try the solution you presented. Thank yo very much; I think that will solve my problem.

Robert

Windows XP Access 2007
    Dyna,

I tried your solution, but I am having a problem. I have many text box controls, with attached labels, and while the text box itself can be given the "can grow" property and then minimized to a line, it appears as if the attached label cannot. When I shrink the text box to a line, the attached label does not shrink. When I do shrink it separately to a line, it does not grow when print preview is selected, so I lose any space I gain on the design template because the attached label (to a text box) will not expand.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Robert

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    I don't think you can make the Detail section more that 22" (A2K,A2K3)
    From specifications page in Help:

AttributeMaximumNumber of characters in a label.............. 2,048
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of characters in a text box................................ 65,535
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Form or report width............................................. ....... 22 in. (55.87 cm)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Section height............................................ ............... 22 in. (55.87 cm)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Height of all sections plus section headers
    (in Design view)................................................. .......... 200 in. (508 cm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of levels of nested forms or reports........................ 7
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of fields or expressions you can
    sort or group on in a report............................................ . 10
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of headers and footers in a report.......................... 1 report header/footer;
    .................................................. ..................................1 page header/footer;
    .................................................. ................................10 group headers/footers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of printed pages in a report..................................... 65,536
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of controls and sections you can
    add over the lifetime of the form or report................................ 754
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of characters in an SQL statement
    that serves as the Recordsource or Rowsource
    property of a form, report, or control
    (both .mdb and .adp)............................................. ................ 32,750
    ================================================== ==========

HTH
    -----
    Steve
    --------------------------------
    "Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
    (I came; I saw; I stuck around.)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.