sparkyinak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Access back end to SQL Express. SQL ignorant

I’m starting to plan placing my DB backend to a SQL sever like Microsoft SQL Express. A system I’m so not familiar with at all my DB is going to have growing pains here which I learning after the Access DB is build is done and being populate. Instead of stepped on mines with a program I never used, I sure can use some guidance

Our Access DB will house hundreds of applications. We have several types of widgets that our clients apply for and there’s several types of applications depending of the type of widget our clients are applying for. Each record in the database is a summary of an application with key information about the application. When a new app comes in, we can query their old records that will help us match the right widget to our clients. When the summary data is entered into a record, the application is scanned into .pdf format and attached to record. This way when someone query’s a name, all their older records are there for viewing.

When I move the beckend of my Access file to the SQL server, will the attached .pdf files be affected? If so how? Any other potential pitfalls I may run into?

Also, I'm open to recommended resources like books or Youtube videos you would recommend for a dummy like me on SQL Express or SQL in general. Thanx in advance!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, I do think converting Attachment type field to any other db platform will be an issue. Attachment type field is unique to Access. Embedding files in database quickly uses up size limit. Recommend files remain external and save file path/name in text field.

Why do you expect to outgrow Access?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Duplicate thread. Other answers here https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=77018
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

sparkyinak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The two posts go hand in hand but they are not duplicate posts. My apologies if they seem that way. This post was about potential issues with uploading the BE to a SQL versus trying to figure up what SQL is all about from this dummy’s perspective.

Hi, we store files in our SQL database in base64 format in a varchar(max) field. This takes up to average 30 kB/record.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.